The cost of eating out

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

The cost of eating out

Post by Richard »

As you know, I've just had four days in a B&B in Belgium.

I don't eat out very often, in fact, never (unless my Mum's paying when I visit her!!).

I would imagine the price of Restaurants is about the same in Belgium as over here, maybe less, so I was amazed at how much the cost of the days away rocketed.
I could have brought food and prepared it each day I guess, as I do on my Camping trips, but time was tight and I felt I wanted a treat.

But what really stuck out was that for one meal out (for Leo and myself), I could feed myself for a week ! We did scour the places for the least expensive options.

For those who are a bit tighter for cash than others, do you find the same and how do you think some Restaurants can justify the prices ?
I guess they can, because you see so many closing down.

What the area where I was lacked I suppose were places like Harvesters, where you can eat pretty well for less.

What are your thoughts.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: The cost of eating out

Post by lancashire lass »

I rarely eat out (or buy lunches at work), and on those occassions when I do, my friends & I go to our local pub where there are usually a special 2 for 1, or the carvery help yourself to as much veg & gravy as you like )t'

Any place that give us rubbish service are dropped off the list and our future custom. We always put something aside for a tip for places that are friendly, clean and reasonably efficient.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

We do enjoy eating out quite a lot, and have sussed out all the local places where you get good value for money. Witherspoons do great meals a lot cheaper than anywhere else, but their chain is huge and therefore they have huge buying power to get discounts on bulk orders etc.
I think it definately pays to shop around - we got a lovely lunch in a little independant cafe at the weekend for just under £10 for the 3 of us - that was lunch plus 2 coffees.
Also, I think that to a certain extent you get what you pay for - I would rather pay £4 for an onion tomato and mushroom omlette with a side salad and feel full til dinner time than £1.99 for burger and fries at mcdougals and be starving again in an hour!
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Our very favourite pub/restaurant (privately owned and run) does 3 courses for £10 Monday to Friday plus a-la-carte where you pay whatever for the main course and your starter and / or deserts are £1 each. The quality is superb.

Needless to say they are full most nights and have turned it around from last year when it was very quiet.

The biggest problem is the drinks - a large glass of wine costs more than you pay for a bottle in the supermarket :shock:

Its lovely though for a treat now and then.

When we went to Whitby last year we at out all four nights and the cost was horrendous - there were 5 of us including my two sons and one's girlfriend. This year we are eating in- or just me and hubs going out!!!!
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

(f+ (f+ (f+

i rarely eat out but went out for my 40th last sept we went to a really nice italian place and i had a lasagna with salad it cost nearly £10 :shock: and the whole time i was eating it i was thinking that i could of made 1 for all the family for half the price it was very nice though :)

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

we used to go out every weekend for at least 1 meal!!

But for the past 4 years we have been more frugal, we went out last sunday and the bill for all 4 of us with drinks was £45, but the food was superb! We have decided that it's better to go out less often and have better food, than go to cheaper places when i'm never happy with the food as generally i can do much better at home....... )c+
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

PS my inlaws took us out a couple of weeks ago to a good resturant for lunch (on the eat out for £5 offer from a papper) it was wonderful!!
and we saw a major footballer ronaldo(?) thats what happens in the 'Cheshire set' !! yike*
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Bollybarb wrote:PS my inlaws took us out a couple of weeks ago to a good resturant for lunch (on the eat out for £5 offer from a papper) it was wonderful!!
and we saw a major footballer ronaldo(?) thats what happens in the 'Cheshire set' !! yike*

As in the winker??
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Bollybarb wrote:we used to go out every weekend for at least 1 meal!!

But for the past 4 years we have been more frugal, we went out last sunday and the bill for all 4 of us with drinks was £45, but the food was superb! We have decided that it's better to go out less often and have better food, than go to cheaper places when i'm never happy with the food as generally i can do much better at home....... )c+

Oh that's SO right! Me and mum went to a '2 for 1' couple of weeks back, just to re-fuel really while step-dad was in hospital and we were visiting. The food was OK but certainly nothing special and although it wasn't expensive I wouldn't consider it a treat :?
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I don't normally eat out at all, far too expensive, I take pack up. But I did have a treat on Saturday, me and Carol stopped off at a pub on our way to the theatre. I chose home made nut roast, delicious sauce, fresh steamed veg, it was scrumptious, )eat( cost £7.50. We were early but the pub soon filled up at 6pm, the man said they are fully booked most nights.

My sister often has a coffee when in town, I think this is ridiculous, the prices are awful, I would rather wait till I got home.

Ilona
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

The price of coffee can be absolutely ridiculous, especially if you have ever been to a wholesalers and seen the price one big tin of good quality instant it. Complete rip off....although I am partial to a latte sometimes for a treat :oops:
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

my flask has paid for itself about 1000 times over!! but i do have a coffee machine at home which is used daily (for the past 2 years) i addicted to coffee :oops:
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I take a Thermos Flask with me a lot, even for the drive to Southampton.

I agree that Pub Meals can be very good price wise. I see the signs for Sunday Carvery s at around £6 and think it good value. But as babycakes says, the prices are jumped up when you a have a coffee with it, or a Desert even.
Fair play, they have to get you in though.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

There is a carvery chain around here where it is £3.50 each every day except Sunday - its great value and about the same price as a McD's but better value and better for you!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I wonder if you could take your own drink with you and have half of it in the car park before you go in, then only have the meal, and drink the other half when you come out. Wonder what they would say to that?

Ilona
)old(