Yorkshire Puddings

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Kelly
Lively Laner

Yorkshire Puddings

Post by Kelly »

I made YPs to go with Sunday lunch last week-end. They were just fab.
Got the recipe on line somewhere. Just wanted to share it.
Three key tips:
1. Make individual puds - use an individual bun tin - rise far higher keep their shape better.
2. Make sure that oil in the pan is smoking before you add the batter.
3. Only use plain white flour.
Ingredients:
• 110g of plain white flour
• 2 medium eggs
• 300ml of chilled milk (I used semi skimmed)
• 2-3 tablespoonfuls of olive oil/ beef dripping/rape seed oil
• Large pinch of salt
Method:
1. Sift the plain flour into a bowl. Add the salt.
2. Make a well in the centre and break in the two eggs. Gently whisk the eggs into the flour and gradually add the milk. Ideally, return the mixture to the fridge in a jug for half an hour to chill. If you don’t have time for that the puds will be fine, just won’t rise quite as much.
3. Put a little oil (about 0.5 tsp) in wells in the bun tins and put on the top shelf of a preheated oven 220c (200c fan) for ten minutes till the oil is smoking,
4. Quickly whisk your batter and pour onto the hot, smoking oil in the wells in the cake tin. The oil should bubble up around the batter. Speed counts.
5. Bake at top of oven for 20 minutes, turning the tray around after ten mins.
Time the puds to be ready when the joint is just about to be carved so you will serve them at their crispest and best.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Re: Yorkshire Puddings

Post by kate egg »

My family won't eat anything but my home made Yorkies - they always rise well but are still slightly moist at the centre. I find that if I leave the mixture to stand any more than 5 minutes or so they don't rise at all even though all the recipes say you should leave it for up to an hour.

I use 1/2 pint milk, an egg, 4oz plain flour and a pinch salt.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Hello all,
Didn't know there was more than one set of ingredients to make yorkies. We use 6oz plain white flour, 2 eggs, 6floz milk, 4floz water and whisk. We use virgin olive oil in the pan thingy. Doesn't seem to matter how long the batter sits around before pouring, always fluffy crisp ones.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Kelly
Lively Laner

Post by Kelly »

Kate egg I used to use the same recipe as you "1/2 pint milk, an egg, 4oz plain flour and a pinch salt" but with varying success. The secret seems to be very cold batter and very hot fat in the tin. Apparently the
le crusette (iron )dishes produce even deeper and better Yorkshire puddings.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

I never measure ounces or gramms.
Sometimes I leave it to stand and sometimes I dont. They seem to come out the same .I do individual ones like you all do.

1 tea mug of plain flour
1 tea mug of milk
pinch of salt
2 large eggs

Occasionally you have to adgust the liquid content, but they always come out ok. I use the same recipe for toad in the whole. Cook them in a nice hot oven.

People who buy frozen yorkkies is a real soapbox for me. I can never understand spending all that money for something that is so easy to make at home for just a few pence. I am usually gently guided away from the freezer dept where the frozen yorkkies are in case I lead off on one. When I am out with my kids and the subject arises there is much rolling of eyeballs and stern looks from them, which are directed at me. Sorry

I must say though that I we never have them during the summer. We always look forward to the first roast of the winter. Its become a family event really. Usually about mid October.

Lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Dinchy
Legendary Laner

Post by Dinchy »

I never measure my ingredients for Yorkshire puddings, must be my Yorkshire upbringing )c+ , so my recipe is:
Some flour
Some salt
Some eggs
Some milk
A little bit of water.
)eat(
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

I am with Dinchy on this one, I tend to look for the thickness of the batter to judge the mixture.
I find getting plenty of air in with the hand blender makes a big difference.
I always get the tins and fat as hot as possible and put them on the hob while pouring the batter )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
teddymouse
Longlasting Laner

Post by teddymouse »

when i make yp if the children are coming for dinner i have to make double
amount as they like them with their dinner,and as a pudding with treakle on them. to stop them sticking you should,nt wash the baking tin,and adding pepper when the fat is very hot. )c+

angie
angie
why is it these days that common sense and common decency aren't that common?????
aparker155
Lively Laner

Post by aparker155 »

)ot:
SS you have the same issue as me - I just can't understand why people buy frozen roast potatoes (which are yuk anyway), ready made yorkshire puds (especially those ones which is just the batter in a foil case which you have to cook anyway) and ready made pancakes. I even saw some packet crumble mix in a supermarket once!!!!

(I hope I haven't offended anyone with that statement) :oops:
I suppose it's easy to get sucked in - I found myself spending a fortune on the lovely M&S fruit pots until I finally wondered why I didn't just buy the fruit and cut it up myself which was a whole lot cheaper!!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Still )ot: My lot wouldn't eat frozen roast spuds or ready made yorkies and its hardly difficult to make your own. Then again my sis says she cannot make yorkies so always buys them and when they came for dinner once her 5 year old wouldn't eat mine cos they didn't taste like the ones he was used to!

I don't understand cake mixes (just add 2 eggs) or pancake mixes or crumble mixes - but then if it gets people having a go cooking who may not have tried it could lead them on to doing it from scratch.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Yes , I was thinking about pancake mix, yesterday as well. All of my four kids have been taught to make them. I also cant understand why they buy them ready made.
I do buy crumble mix occasionlly because I get it in the market. A 2 kg bag for £1. I sometimes have a tub of it in the caravan for if we fancy a pudding instead of fruit or something else.

I also agree with you totally about frozen roast spuds. That was because my daughter`s mother in law uses them all the time. My daughter says shes never seen a real potato in the house. We tried them in the caravan and they were `ok` but tried a cheaper version at home. No thanks!.

My daughter also made `real` chips for her other half and he didnt like them. Prefered the ready made oven chips. They are ok if you get the right brand.
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

secret squirrel wrote:My daughter also made `real` chips for her other half and he didnt like them. Prefered the ready made oven chips. They are ok if you get the right brand.

I make home made oven chips - just cut up some spuds into chips (with the skins on for less time taken) and put them on a baking tray sprinkled with a little olive oil - much tastier and healthier than frozen ones )c+
jacquih
Longlasting Laner

Post by jacquih »

Get a packet of Golden Fry original yorkshire pudding mix, add 1 egg, and 4oz of water, mix together, put in mould, cook in oven, delishh.
Jacquih )c+ {rofwl} )c+
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Surely if you're adding water and an egg then all thats in the packet is flour, salt and dried milk confused> still as long as it tastes good )t'
jacquih
Longlasting Laner

Post by jacquih »

Yes the yorkshire pudding mix is very basic, but tastes very good, thats not to say that I dont make my own sometimes, and they also taste very good, but the mix is very simple and very cheap, so sometimes its just as easy to put it together, especially for a toad in the hole )eat(
Jacquih