My best kitchen gadget ever!

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

My best kitchen gadget ever!

Post by Meanqueen »

I have just replaced my steamer the old one was looking pretty grotty, not surprising when I use it almost every day. This is the best kitchen gadget ever. I do have an electric three tier plug in type which I use sometimes for full meals, but this one never gets put in the cupboard as it's in constant use.

It expands to fit the pan, and can easily accommodate enough veg for two people, I just keep adding more untill I think there is enough. )eat( I bought this yesterday for £2. :-D

What is your favourite gadget that you use every day?

Ilona
Steve the Gas

Re: My best kitchen gadget ever!

Post by Steve the Gas »

Couldn't possibly say :oops:

But seriously my PC is in the kitchen so that is my real answer. I watch the girls from my pc - the chucks for those who were wondering {warn}
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I couldn't pick a favourite gadget. I love my little hand-held blender - a pesky tescy value range one - I use that a lot for all sorts. I have a special tray thing that defrosts food really quick, thats great too. I have 2 non stick tins that you put flour tortillas in, stick them in a hot over for 5 mins and they come out crispy. Pop them out, let them cool and you have an edible salad/chili/dip bowl )c+
Oooh and my tiny chefs blowtorch - I dont use it often but come on - it's a pink blowtorch, that has to be cool
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

(f+ (f+ (f+

mine is a mini chopper i found in a charity shop for £1.00 its a JML one i use it to chop herbs,onions and bread crumbs its chops in seconds my old one that cost me a tenner was rubbish {mr.angry} took ages to chop anything.

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
teddymouse
Longlasting Laner

Post by teddymouse »

mine is the steamer that sits on top of any size pan,its about 30 years old,got it early on in my married life.the wand blender that is rarely unpluged,and this time of year the Krisk bean slicer and stringer,they cost about £3 . )t'
angie
why is it these days that common sense and common decency aren't that common?????
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Favourite gadget - hmmmmm, it seems to change depending what I am doing. I have a big Kenwood Chef that I use to make mince with a special attachment (shop mince is bleurgh). I also love my slicer / grater. Oh and the egg slice gets used most days.

But I think the one thats had the most use is my hand held electric whisk (the kind with two beaters on it), it only cost about a tenner and it gets used for mixing yorkies, making cakes etc its so easy to clean, just pop the beaters out and stick them in the cutlery tray in the dishwasher )t' Unlike the food processor which has so many bits to clean after you've used it.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

At the moment my fave gadget is my electric ice cream maker - the type which freezes it for you.

I was really lucky as it was was given to me by my then mother in law when I mentioned that I would like one a few years ago. She had been given it 2nd hand some years previously and never used it - I didn't even know she had one!

Combine one ice cream maker with a Benn & Jerrry's ice cream recipe book....YUMMMMM! )c+
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

kate egg wrote:it only cost about a tenner and it gets used for mixing yorkies, making cakes etc.

I'm sure that I heard somewhere that yorkies weren't in fact for girls.
Bah Humbug
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

I have 5 things I use on a daily basis. )w(
Mini blender for , oh , just lots of things.
One of those sugar jars with a pouring spout that delivers one tsp each time. Neither of the men in my life seem to be able to successfully get all the sugar from one tsp into the top of a mug without dumping it on the worktop.
Plastic chopping boards, straight in the diswasher after use.
One of those netty things for crisp cooking in either the convection oven or microwave. Paid £3 for mine in a `cheap` shop instead of £9 from one of those doorstep catologues. Brilliant for chips, fishcakes and hashbrowns and suchlike. Anything that wont drip, in short.
Really....I mean really sharp knives. The only safe knife is a really sharp one. )w(

Lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

sorry about the last post....
Being a bloke I have dozens of gadgets in the kitchen, quite literally. I am also faddy about which one is my favourite at any one time; currently my micropane grater which I use for grating (obviously) ginger and parmesan (because it’s not much use for anything else) gets a lot of use. I am also a bit of a knife fiend and have some good knifes in the draw, my current favourite is the 8” cooks knife and a Japanese vegetable cleaver that cost me a fortune at a wood working show (of all places) about ten years back. But my absoluteNo.1 must still be my wok even after 18 years of abuse it is still the thing I utilise the most and even take camping when I go (along with a full range of Sabatier knives). You can deep/shallow fry, stir fry, steam braise etc...toptastic.

)t'
Bah Humbug
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

secret squirrel wrote:Really....I mean really sharp knives. The only safe knife is a really sharp one. )w(

Lorna

Couldn't agree more, a properly sharpened knife is a pleasure to use )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Sadly, I don't recognise the phrase 'sharp knife'! Mine are all rubbish. )gr:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

r aboutI think the secret with knives is to buy three of the best you can afford. A big one, a medium one and a diddy one. My best one is S######r and Ive had it for about 15 years. Every time hub takes them out of the dishwasher he sharpens it before he put it back on the magnet. Purist say you should never dishwash them )dwn: Some I do and some I don`t. )c+

Lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Never put mine through the dishwasher.
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I always do and they are just as blunt as when I first got them! And some are sa...tier! confused>
Helen xx