no knead bread

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

I just did a loaf with half a teaspoon of salt instead of one and a quarter teaspoons and it still worked!
I must say it wasn't as tasty to my palate, but it still does the job of bread!
I don't know if I'm game to totally omit it though :?
I also only let it rise for about 17 hours - I don't know if you could extract more flavour by letting it rise longer - partially in fridge possibly.

The bread did seem more airy and had bigger holes in it, and also had a softer crust. I dont know if that was all because of the reduced amount of salt, but from what I just read salt sort of inhibits the rising process so it may well be. I don't know that you could 'replace' the salt with sugar - it seems like they are doing two sort of opposite things?
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

no knead bread

Post by AnnaB »

Tassie
Try adding a gram of vitamin C. We use this in all the loaves and it does do something to the rise.
I have yet to make your recipe but I will and not with salt but sugar!
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

I'll give it a go! i have vit c powder here somewhere actually so should be able to dig it up.

i'll be intereted to see how you go if you try it with sugar instead of salt )c+
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Sugar is important as food for the yeast, and I think salt is just for flavour. I have done cakes in my breadmaker. I get wrights mix, the same as the bread. They do a whole range, ginger cake, madiera, carrot ,chocolate. They are of course loaf shaped but quite scrummy. as the bread doesnt last long, the last couple of slices are used toasted. We just never have any left to throw away. The colonel only likes the soft bread, broken into tiny bits , spoilt boy (f+
Looove chucks!
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

i always thought you needed sugar seahorse, but this loaf definitely rises like mad without it!
i think that because it has a longer rise time the yeast uses the carbohydrate in the flour as food, it just is a slower process. the sugar speeds up the process for you normal loaves which only rise for a short time.

the salt yes i think it works fine using very little (or none) , except the flavour :?

but i did read that salt inhibits / controls rising. i think it's something to do with the texture of the bread. im not that fussy about the texture! this particular recipe is quite holey - like french bread. if you totally omit the salt the loaf may end up all air!!!! (nah just joking)
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

no knead bread

Post by AnnaB »

Tassie

I've made one - will post the picture as soon as OH loads it. We are going to taste it tonight.
Used sugar and not salt.
Really spooky, it rose overnight in the kitchen.....
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

oh good one! i can't wait....... hope it tastes ok !!

i like the sound of spooky bread 8)
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

no knead bread

Post by AnnaB »

Tassie
Here it is!! I used a cake tin and covered it with foil. It was delicious.

Photobucket
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

no knead bread

Post by AnnaB »

Here it is opened.......

Photobucket
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

ooh looks scrummy!
i'm glad it tasted so good )t'

good to know you can do the sugar instead of salt option!
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

heeeeyyy bread update!!

i found some variations on this recipe here:
http://www.rebeccablood.net/thriftyo/20 ... bread.html

so far i've only made the rye one and it was GREAT!!!!
I think i actually prefer it to the original one - it is a bit denser and moister and seems to stay fresh longer. it does seem to take a bit longer to cook though, which the recipe doesnt mention. might be just me!!

i'd recommend it! i've just got some wholemeal flour so going to give that one a go too.
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

I'm very happy as I bought my first breadmaker on Saturday. Littlefeat suggested a second hand shop, but alas they didn't have any!!!

Anyway - I looked at the Argos website and there was one for £23.99 - bargain!!!!

I've now made lovely wholemeal bread, and my hubby also made a french bread yesterday! Tonight it's going to be olive and feta!!!

It's brilliant, and much better than the shop bought stuff!!!! :-D
Small steps lead to big changes
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

since buying our breadmaker a year ago it has hardly had a day off.
Luckily our supermarket sells the whole range of bread mixes for 69p a pack and thats much cheaper than the bread over here. Its the best gadget we have bought for years (f+
Looove chucks!
It hurts to think
Learner Laner

Post by It hurts to think »

Is this akin to sourdough?