elderflower champagne

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
chickenlicken
Lively Laner

elderflower champagne

Post by chickenlicken »

Just wanted to find out if anyone has started to make their elderflower champagne yet?
Mine is nearly ready to decant into bottles and then i'm off out to get another load!
I see loads of elderflowers going to waste and I think it's a shame that more people don't make any-all for the price of four lemons and a bag of sugar (and a tblsp of white wine vinager).
We still have a bottle from last year and its still ok-in fact I'm sure it's a bit stronger!
p.penn

Re: elderflower champagne

Post by p.penn »

I didn't even realise the elderflowers were out yet. They must be though I guess.

Thanks for that!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
joannachapman
Lively Laner

Post by joannachapman »

Hi

I have always fancied making that but have no clue where to start - do you have a recipe/method I can steal? I don't have elderflowers in my garden but I presume i can get them - there's a nature reserve, woodland and fields next to me...
mmm
Lively Laner

Post by mmm »

Our elderflowers are only just coming out.

I tried to make some last year but it was awful. I did make good elderflower cordial BUT it decided to ferment so it bacame alcaholic cordial :oops:
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

This is a fantastic recipe - but one word of warning - make sure the bottles are thick, proper champagne ones, or at least thick plastic.

2 heads elderflowers
I lemon
1.5 lbs/750g sugar
2fl oz/60ml white wine vinegar
Water

Trim off elderflowers and place florets in a bowl/bucket plus lemon juice and thinly peeled and cut up rind, sugat and vinegar. Make up to 1 gallon with cold water and stir to dissolve sugar. Cover and leave for 24 hours.

Strain into strong screw top or heavy champagne bottles. Leave for 2 weeks at 20 C/70F when it will be ready to drink.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Extraordinary what you can find on this forum!!! Thanks, will give this a go. Hic! )c(
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

p-penn, drank our first bottle of your elderflower champagne recipe yesterday - it is pretty good, isn't it? And sooo easy. Many thanks!
bytheseaside
Lively Laner

Post by bytheseaside »

I made elderflower cordial last summer, which is just beautiful now. I flavoured it with both lemon and orange. Try mixing it with strawberries next time you want to make a Pavlova something special. Talk about a mouthful of summer!!

www.livingincornwall.com