Crisps

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
SouthernDave

Crisps

Post by SouthernDave »

Don't know about you folks, but I love a bag of crisps and wondered how easy they would be to make at home with real ingredients? Also fancied some of those crispy veggies you can buy. Fed up with high prices for good quality crisps and the unnecessary packing that comes with them, not to mention the nasties added.

Google has given me some ideas, but sometimes these are just repeated advice rather than real experiences. I was wondering if anyone has actually had a go at this?
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Re: Crisps

Post by rhubarb93 »

My mum used to make crisps when I was a kid.
I think you just slice the spuds very thinly (a mandolin would be good for this), then pat them dry in a tea towel, and fry them in small batches in good quality oil. Groundnut cooks at a high temp, so they wouldn't be so oily. If you do too many at once, they stick together in clumps, laden with oil - not nice!
Best salted lightly while still hot.
No reason why this shouldn't work with beetroot, parsnip etc
Come to think of it, I don't know why I'm not doing it myself! The veg ones in the supermarket are a real rip-off, aren't they?
Enjoy! :-D
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I made them years ago I peeled with a potato peeler then just kept slicing with the peeler ,then washed ,dried and fried . :-D
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

I have used a potato peeler to cut carrots and parsnips into ribons and then deep fry them. I used a little salt and curry powder to season. )eat(

I also tried to roast the ribbons but they weren't as good as the deep fried.
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
SouthernDave

Post by SouthernDave »

I was thinking of trying this microwave method:

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Uncle- ... hips-47195

And I also found this crisp maker aimed at kids on the Sainsbury's website:

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/to ... 4294960146
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

That looks a really great gadget - my grandchildren would love it!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
mmm
Lively Laner

Post by mmm »

I slice potatoes thinly sprinkle with salt & pop on a baking tray & spray with fry light. Very nice......
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I've found deep frying works well, but have never had much success with baking them. My mum used to have a rack to make crisps in the microwave - they tasted horrid though lol
I love the beetroot crisps you can buy for extortionate prices, but don't much like actual beetroot lol - might have to try making some beetroot crisps if I get beetroot in my veggie box soon.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I had a microwave crisp make when i was on slimming world as they were free food on a green day! Slice spud really thin on a mandolin (I left the skin on) and cook for half as long again as it said on the instructions. Not exactly Kettle Chips but much healthier )t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

So rubbish really then Kate??? {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

When you need a 'crunch' and are trying so hard to stick to a diet it's better than nowt (just) {rofwl}