food rotation?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

food rotation?

Post by Meanqueen »

You know when you go food shopping every week and you put the new stuff away, and the old stuff gets pushed to the back of the cupboard or the freezer? I have set myself a challenge, not to buy any more food untill I have eaten what I already have. I am going to do my own version of Ready Steady Cook, and invent some strange recipes, to clear the lot and start afresh. Should be interesting. Now what can I make with pineapple rings, rice, and a cabbage????
Ilona
)c+
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

...a fruity stir fry!!!
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
wendy

Post by wendy »

And how Ilona.
We changed around our garage and made it into a utility room. I had three chest freezer [I used to run a frozen dog food delivery service] and needed to get rid of two. We have had to have a good sort out, and throw stuff in the recyle bin. How wasteful !!! not again. I will not get into that state again. Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

food rotation?

Post by AnnaB »

Wendy

How could you put the dogs in the freezer - shame on you!!

Ilona

I buy in bulk and also freeze a lot of what I buy and grow so nothing gets wasted.

I always have a spare jar or two in the cupboard if it has been on offer. We are just getting to the bottom of all the teabags I bought last year when they were reduced - still well in date.

I did buy a lot of flour before Christmas as I heard that wheat would be scarce, it appears that it has not yet impacted on flour?
WendyM
Lively Laner

Post by WendyM »

I have sorted out my dried herbs and spices today and you know the oldest one I had was from 2005! I hardly look at the best before date on the jars. My hubby had to close down his mums house when she moved to the states and the oldest thing was 8 years out of date. Yuukkk. :oops: She never liked to throw things out.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Maybe some things last longer than it says.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have got some oat bran out of date April 07, I will make porridge with it and use it to thicken stews.
Sunflower seeds out of date Sept 07, and soup and broth mix out of date Oct 07. These will be fine to eat.
But, I thought if I don't do this now these items will never get used, and I never throw food away.
I have a few bits in the freezer which I want to eat, so I can defrost it.
Sometimes I look in the cupboard and think, Oh, I don't fancy any of this, and go out and buy something else. Although it's better to eat nice food that you fancy, the main reason for eating is to keep your body alive, so whether you fancy it or not is not important. If you get my drift.

Rice and cabbage stew, pineapple for pudding.

Ilona
wendy

Post by wendy »

Freezing the dogs ....Wow what a way of saving money, no more feeding them.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Both hubby and I worked in food shops, so stock rotation comes as second nature. We have usey up nights when all sorts of guk gets shoved together in a pan, cooked to perfection then munched with gusto!! (f+ . You wont find any of it on ready steady cook )c+ .
One of our fave puds is banana crumble, stumbled upon by accident and appreciated by those of us who luurve bananas :razz:
Looove chucks!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Down to my last few bits now, a few tins, and a bit left in the freezer. I have to go shopping by Sunday, because I have a £6 voucher off a £30 spend, sent to me by T***o, because they are doing a store refit and everything is a bit of a jumble at the moment. I might take it up to £50, get the BOGOFF's and end of date reductions, then I will get a voucher for money off my diesel.

It takes ages for a single person to eat a whole cabbage, getting a bit fed up of rice and cabbage stew.
Ilona