Book Charts - Guess who's No.1 !!!

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Book Charts - Guess who's No.1 !!!

Post by Richard »

Our friend Delia !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

Oh Tania that's brilliant!!

Michele
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Five Star Reply !! )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

Did anyone see her programme last night? I just caught it as I was flicking through when the adverts were on so I watched the last half an hour out of curiosity. I think shes lost the plot personally. I used to really like her, SORRY, I know. Im going back ten years though maybe a bit more when she used to do those programmes from her lovely conservatory, dosnt look like shes there anymore.

She must be getting a HUGE something from one or maybe more of the big chains, I bet they've got blisters from rubbing their hands.

AnnaB, Im just on the way to the charity shop with all my D cook books. Ashamed to say I have about six. Or maybe I could shred them and use them in the compost. )j;
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

No, no, let the lovely ladies poo on 'em first!!! Ha ha ha!! What satisfaction would that be?? )t'
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
Gixer
Lively Laner

Post by Gixer »

Whats the story with Delia then? how come everybody dislikes her? :?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

She says if people can't afford free-range chickens they should be allowed to eat factory reared broilers.
Which doesn't make her cook-books any less useful (if you found them useful in the first place).
I think we all come to ethically shopping gradually, it would be very hard to do it 'right' on all fronts, all the time. E.g. M&S cakes use Free-range eggs, but not fair trade chocolate, should I buy them?
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

..and all joking aside, what a waste of a tree. If you have the books already, use them, just dont buy any of her new books and line her pocket.

^b:
Gixer
Lively Laner

Post by Gixer »

Nope havent got any of her books and never seen her tv programmes (we dont have tv down here - well actually the military have one tv channel that broadcasts from 11am until 11pm and we could tune into that I suppose if we could be bothered but all it shows is Eastenders and things like that so not much point. we do own a tv but we use it just to watch dvd's)

Dont know much about Delia but I always thought she was a country girl type/back to basics cook, sounds like she has sold herself out?
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

Your right Mo, it is very hard to make those sorts of decisions, especially if you are on a budget. I constantly struggle with what I buy, weighing it up with affordability and my ethics. I think though that alot of people look up to these celebrities and will go out any buy things just because she says its ok. Which, is what Jamie Olive and HFW do I suppose, but their opinions are helping others, not just themselves. Infact in this programme last night she was with a load of buyers and she said, get lots of these in they will be flying off the shelves. Now I wasnt sure if she meant, because "I'm endorsing it" or something else as I had only just turned it over, but she looked very smug. She alos bought some Pesto sauce and said you must make sure its from Italy, its no good buying Pesto from Surbiton. :shock: I mean, what about foodmiles etc etc. Silly woman.

When I watched her last night, I just felt like it smacked of desperation. Perhaps she does not come across very well in these types of Docu-cook type programmes like Jamie Oliver and Hugh FW, so maybe she does genuinely believe what she is saying.

But with JO and HW you get a feel for their passion and that they truly believe what they are doing and yes they are also getting sponsorship deals so in that sense Delia is just doing the same. I just wasnt getting the feeling like she was doing it because she believed in what she was telling us, she seemed more like a puppet to me.

To be honest, I think she is more pasionate about her football interests than the contents of that programme last night.

Thats just my opinion, shes probably a really nice person, and does eat tinned crab fish cakes every night made with ready made bread crumbs and not a caper in sight.

I think people should have the right to afford good quality food and not have to be in the position where they dont have eggs/chickens etc because they cant afford the free range ones. This will never be affordable though as "battery hen type producers" will always have a market as long as people like her are supporting them.

Anyway, I'll stop going on now and go and feed my chickens
wendy

Post by wendy »

One of the girls on my forum, had some hens from the last rescue that Mel did.
They both had to be put down as they were being eaten from the inside by maggots.
This is the type of food that Delia says the poor should feed their children !!!
These hens go into stock cubes, soup, some baby food I have heard and probably countless other stuff.
Others affected like these poor girls may not have gone through. But how do we know. As I have said before one of mine and a couple belonging to a friend were covered in motor oil of some sort. You can't tell me others in the cage with them weren't affected as well. These birds must have tried to preen themselves and digested this awful mess. Once the feathers are removed who can tell ? But it doesn't matter these are only the poor, their children aren't as relevant as ours.
ALL children matter regardless of their circumstances. They shouldn't have to be fed c**p food.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Oh, Wendy!!

Thats bl**dy awful, those poor, poor girls. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

Oh God Wendy that's awful. Yes it doesn't seem to occur to "supporters" of broiler and battery chickens that all children deserve a good start in life food wise and not as you say just the better off families. Maybe an angle that should be pushed more.

Michele
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Wendy - Wish you wouldn't go round the houses and get to the point !!!!

It is odd isn't it. After the amazing goof at the Football Match and now the recent publicity, you'd think the books wouldn't sell.
But they do, so she must have something!

As for your books, just get a permanent marker and strike the name out and draw little add ons to the pictures!!

As Mo says, the recipes are usually good, it's just from where the food may have come from.

Personally, I'll just boycott the programmes and haven't any of her books anyway.

Richard