Bread makers

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Bread makers

Post by mellonia »

Hi

loads of you make your own bread, do you use bread makers, how much are they which ones are good, and does it work out cheaper really. How long do they take etc,need info please.

thankyou in advance.

Mellonia

You know the saying man can not live by bread alone, i think i can i love it.
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

Hi Mellonia,

Ive got a Panasonic Sd 253, had it about 2 yrs now. It was about £80 I think.

Its ok, I would have bought a more expensive one if I could have afforded it. When this conks out I probably will next time.

I have only really used mine for normal loaves but you can do loads of different types of breads/cakes in it. I tried a cheese and bacon loaf once but you wouldnt have even known there was any bacon in it, it seemed to disintigrate. I would leave the bits bigger next time. Also the lid on mine dosnt stay down very well and I have to stick it down with sellotape or it dosnt rise!

On mine it takes 4 hours for a white large loaf or 2 hours for a rapid bake-I asked Anna recently about the difference as I was only using the rapid and she said rapid is ok but the 4 hour one tastes better and shes right. It also rises a bit more on the 4 hour one.

The flour I buy is 99p, its organic and I get two large loaves out out of that and then there is salt, yeast, butter, milk powder, sugar on top of that, although not much so it probably works out about 60p-70p a loaf roughly, depending on the quality of the ingredients you buy. I buy organic so its more expensive.

Its a good question though and was something I was going to ask myself, cant wait to hear what everyone else says. (f+

needles to say it tastes flippin yummy. )chu:

Rachel
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

we find
its cheaper to buy your bread
but there is nothing like the smell
of bread cooking
and that worth the extra cost!
although saying that we have not used our bread maker for months
we got ours because my son has food alagees
and we wanted him to have bread
and we could use alternative ingreadiants
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

My 4 year old M&S bread maker cost £60. I still haven't got round to working out if it is cheaper than buying bread - a friend at work had asked me as she was considering buying a maker to save money.

It is the other things I can make with which beat what is in the shops - especially as I know exactly what is in it. Foccacia, bagles, cinnamon rolls, pizza, brioche, malt loaf ... so much more to make than bread and I think this is where you can really save money. Fancy morning goods are touching £1 for a pack of 4 but you can make a dozen of your own, fresh for the same money. It's these treats that I can't really justify buying but get so much pleasure from making them and seeing people enjoy them.

Oooh, you got me going now - gotta go cook something )c+

Effie
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
wendy

Post by wendy »

Had mine a few years it is a Mellerware.
Maybe it is cheaper to buy but as has been said it smells lovely. Also you know exactly what went in it. Nothing messed with.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

you got me thinking now too Effie! Malt loaf sounds yummy. )c+

Ive been meaning to make some ciabata bread for ages as well. I did try recently, thats when I discovered the lid wasnt staying down and I havnt bothered since then, just been making normal bread.

Your right about the costs of morning goods, its shocking :shock:

Rachel
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

Ooh, forgot latest one - wholemeal english muffins. Yum!
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

Does your bread maker cook the muffins etc for you Effie or does it just make the Dough?

Rachel
mikey
Lively Laner

Post by mikey »

Used a Panasonic for the past few years, very good results. You need to work out the cost of a good loaf (not sliced reheated etc stuff) against the cost of machine and flour etc along with how many loafs a week you would use. I think mine paid for itself in about 18 months. Dont go for a bargain basement one they dont work well. Once up and running try something like a cinnamon fruit loaf and toast lightly, you wont want to go back to shop bread! You can also use them to start of dough for rolls etc.
Mike
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

I remember when I bought mine I had a look what Which said and the panasonic was the best one in my price range. I nearly went for the cheaper one but after reading Which was glad I didnt.

Rachel
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

I mostly use it on the dough cycle - even for loaves which I transfer to tins and cook in the oven. I prefer the shape from a tin and I loose interest too quickly when I'm kneading it myself :oops: .

The muffins are easy to do. You roll the dough out, cut circles, coat them in semolina then bake off or dry fry them in a pan. They look just like the real thing - I always find it hard to believe when that happens ((w
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

I have to prove the dough after mine has made it before I can bake it, do you?

I made some rolls once and they were rubbish I dont think I let them prove long enough but they never seemed to get any bigger even though I left it twice as long as the book said.

Rachel
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

After the dough cycle, eyerything needs to prove in the new shape. The dough cycle is only 1 1/2 hours and the next rise takes up to an hour. Not something you can do in a hurry.

If I need something 'bready' in a hurry, I make an american corn bread which has baking powder as the raising agent. put peppers, chilli, cheese, herbs or whatever in it. 3 minutes to mix, 20 to cook, ready in less than half an hour.
luke3hens
Learner Laner

Post by luke3hens »

ive got a £23 argos cheepie and its super much better than i ever thought it would be.

when i have ten minuits free (not often) i bag up in little freezer bags the dry ingrediants minus the yeast, then when i want a loaf all i do is add the water and pop in a ready bag and the yeast and bobs your uncle, fannys your aunt and richard is your dads brother.

also use your eggs! an egg enriched loaf is tasty!
oh and making jam in it is a doddle
ged
Lively Laner

breadmakers

Post by ged »

Hi, 8)
I have the best breadmaker in the world,me!I am trying to live without too much dependence on electric appliances.I enjoy making my own yeast goods,I enjoy the kneading process,it takes away stress!I make 2 loaves and rolls and oven doughnuts each time I bake,about once a week at the mo.
atb
ged )c+
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.