gravy

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
rachell24
Lively Laner

gravy

Post by rachell24 »

Im rubbish at making gravy, has anyone got any good recipes?

)hlp>

Rachel
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Use gravy granules! Don't use plain water, use the water from the vegetables (when doing roast potatoes I take them out of the water after par baoiling with a slotted spoon and use the water to steam the veg) then swish the meat tin with some of this stock and strain through a sieve back into the saucepan. If there isn't enough liquid I add plain water for pork, white wine for chicken, red wine for beef. Get a whisk and whisk in granules until it's how you like it. I have never had any complaints, only, "is there any more gravy please".
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

That was for roast or a basic meat and veg meal. Was there anything else you needed, liver & bacon, white sauce?
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

erm, Im thinking now while Ive got you on a roll........ )c+
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Back in the early 60's I used to do all the weekend cooking for an 'Aunt' (not my real one).

I'm sure I used to put Cornflower in the Juices ?
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
ged
Lively Laner

Gravy

Post by ged »

:)
Hi Richard,
That would be correct back then,these days its done by reduction or granules if you prefer(cheat)!
atb
ged )c+
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
wendy

Post by wendy »

My Mum used to use cornflour and the juices.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

gravy

Post by AnnaB »

Plain flour into the fat and juices cook it gently then add the vegetable water from the steamer......perfect.
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

thanks everyone, I have tried using gravy browning in the past but I dont know what I do wrong but it just tastes sooooooooooooooo salty. UUH.

We did find a nice schwartz packet mix ( I know how lazy) but for some reason it dosnt agree with my tummy anymore so goodness knows whats in it. So today everyone else had lovely gravy and I had nothing, it just wasnt the same. :cry:

Will try all your tips next roasty day, (well, not all at the same time LOL) )c(

Rachel
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Cooking water from leeks and deglaze the roasting tin with a splosh of red wine makes toptastic gravy for red meat. Use white wine for chicken and cider for pork. Corn flower or bisto for thickening or if you want extra special squidge a teaspoon of plain flower into a teaspoon of softened butter and add that to the sauce. With plain flower I think that you need about five minutes to cook it out before serving. )c+
Bah Humbug
smallholderwannabe
Lively Laner

Post by smallholderwannabe »

When I was young we used to have Bisto gravy powder. We used it to make gravy but found it salty just like rachell24. So we used half cornflour and half Bisto powder. Cornflour was cheaper than the Bisto too. And we used the veg water too.
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

i use cornflour and bisto powder as really dislike the granules there not from this planet, leaves a nasty taste on the room of the mouth , and always add the meat juices from the roasr and green or spinach juices yummie , nothing like it
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

When I was a child all we had for gravy was the roasting tin swished out with the 'green' water. The vegetables were boiled for ages and well over cooked plus there was always a pinch of washing soda added to 'keep the colour'. This was the only gravy many working class families had.