15 over-ripe bananas

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Mo
Legendary Laner

15 over-ripe bananas

Post by Mo »

And I sent him for spuds!
Any recipes?
I'd share them round but I don't think they post.
smallholderwannabe
Lively Laner

Post by smallholderwannabe »

Go to the forums on www.moneysavingexpert.com and do a search for banana cake. Loads of recipes for bananas come up. There is even a thread on uses for bananas...

One recipe that I got from there has become a favourite:

Banana Cake

3oz butter
4oz demerara sugar
1/2 lb mashed bananas
6oz self raising flour
2 small eggs
pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

use the creaming method, put in a 2 1/2 pint loaf tin at 180 degrees centigrade for 1 hr 10 mins

This is for muffins and uses slightly different proportions:

Banana Muffins

225g self raising flour
100g butter
85g castor sugar
2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
170ml milk
a pinch of salt
grated zest of 1 lemon
2 bananas

Heat oven to 200°C or Gas Mark 6. Grease 12 muffin tins with butter or place 12 muffin cake cases in a tin.
Melt the butter and leave to cool.

Sieve the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and lemon zest.

Mash the banana with a fork and add to the flour. Lightly beat the melted butter and milk together and add to the flour.

Add the eggs and stir until just mixed, do not over beat.

Divide the mixture between the tins or cases.

Bake in the centre of the oven for 25 minutes, leave in the tins for 5 minutes then place on a wire rack to cool.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Wow, they say you can freeze them!
I thought you couldn't even put them in the fridge.
I'll try with a few - nothing to lose
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

no no make banana wine you will love him for it!
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

smallholderwannabe, you mention small eggs and medium eggs i think someone here should stater trhe weight of these eggs ans what is meduim to others could be small or large grams please?
New to all this
Lively Laner

Post by New to all this »

Banana Lollies.

Peel Them - stick a lolly stick in the bottom. Freeze. Sprinkle with grated chocolate/hundreds and thousands!!!

Yummy - really creamy

Faye x
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

The wrong time to come on here my mouth is positively watering. Lovely recipes! Like the banana lollies. Requires a stick! My kinda cooking )c+ )t'
Chucky Egg
smallholderwannabe
Lively Laner

sharon the chauffeur - off the top off my head I think a small egg would be somewhere about 50-55g and a medium egg 60-65g.

Maybe someone can correct me if I've got it totally wrong.

But I can recommend the first recipe for banana cake in my post above. Even my husband likes it and he won't eat bananas. I sometimes put a spoonful of sunflower seeds in the cake and that is good too.
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

smallholderwannabe thankyou for you mail, what person dont eat bananas?, sorry but is he nuts!(yes im a joker) but all like nanas
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Bananas which are not fully ripe can be frozen , without their skins, wrapped separately in cling film. Freeze solid , then take out and eat like an ice cream. this idea is from a weight watcher book. they are rather scrummy and better for you than ice cream! Though I still like a 99 (f+ I have actually used over ripe bananas and they were fine, probably sweeter too.
Looove chucks!
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

Could do with some of those - kids on a lolly making mission - mash bananas, mix with natural yougurt and a little honey and freeze into lollies.

When the ice-cream van comes down the street (every night, before tea) and all the neighbours run out my kids don't feel at all left out as we are all ready with cheap, healthy frozen snack to eat after tea time.

)ot: We really should move to the middle of a field somewhere, but having grown up (miserable) in the middle of a field where the ice-cream man never came, I bought a house surrounded by more houses :? complete with ice-cream van that I won't buy anything from.

Effie
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
wafflycat

Post by wafflycat »

Banana & walnut creme

4 ripe bananas
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3oz sugar
2oz walnut halves
1/4 pint single cream
1/4 pint double cream

For decoration:

1 large banana
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 walnut halves

Mash 4 bananas with a fork. Blend in the lemon juice & sugar. Chop the walnuts & add to the banana mix.

Lightly whip the single & double cream & fold into the banana & walnut mixture.

Turn into 4 glass dishes.

Cut the other banana into thin slices & sprinkle with lemon juice. Arrnage the slices decoratively on the top of the banana/walnut/cream mix & top with a walnut half.

Serves 4.
smallholderwannabe
Lively Laner

Today's front page of the BBC good food website has a walnut, date and honey cake which contains two mashed bananas.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1323 ... honey-cake

With all these ideas and recipes and wine and the freezer, you must have used up those bananas by now!

When I was very little (looong loooong ago), a favourite treat was a banana mashed up with a spoonful of sugar and a dollop of milk and eaten with a little teaspoon (coffee spoon?). The promise of that treat was enough to have me on my best behaviour for ages.
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

I'm really weird about bananas - I really like them, but only on their own, and not in a cake or sarnie! Odd!! (f+
Small steps lead to big changes
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

going down