LOTS of eggs

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Effie
Legendary Laner

LOTS of eggs

Post by Effie »

Hi all,

We have had a new kitchen put in :-D and went away over the bank hioliday weekend so have not been cooking. All the people who normally take them off our hands are away or won't be seen until the kids go back to school.

As a consequence, we now have 14 eggs which will have grown to 20 by the weekend :shock:

I had thought I had seen suggestions of how to use up a surfit of eggs somewhere on this site, but can't track it down.

Any pointers in the direction of the tips, or any tips of tyour own would be appreciated.

Thanks, Effie )c+
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

I'm not much of a "baker", but the eggs will last around 4-5 weeks if that's any help. Then you could sell as usual to your customers next week?

I can make yorkshire pub. I know you can freeze the batter in portions!
Small steps lead to big changes
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

You can freeze eggs for cooking, either whites, yolks, or complete. Whisk them up first (my freeze book recommends adding a little salt or sugar but I never do). I freeze them in batches the size I will need when I use them (2 eggs in a yogurt tub or 1lb in a marg tub for a batch of fruit cakes). When you de-frost they seem thicker than usual, but are OK.
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

Hi Effie

I did a fritta's or spanish omelette, part boil small cubed potato's then fry in a pan with onion, add anything you want cooked sausage cut up add leek or whatever you have in the fridge and break 3/4 eggs over the top and cook well then grill the top to cook the eggs. Really nice meal my kids love it i do three between the 4 of us so thats 9 eggs gone. Cabonara put a couple of eggs in with the sauce. Use egg whites to make merigue with a dollop of cream and some strawberries. Hope this is a help, i have 4 bantams so the eggs are really little and we never have enough eggs.

Good luck

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

Thanks for the ideas - have made pancakes for breakfast, quiche, going to do a baking session to check out the oven, gave 4 away and will try freezing some to get an idea of how well the works is the problem crops up again. Unfortunately, my son doesn't like egg dishes, all the 'stand by's of omlette, quiche, egg on toast, etc. are off the list. I have always refused to make different meals for different members of the family - if you don't like it, sit and look at it and go hungry - did that with quiche last night but try not to do it too often.

I must also convince myself that an egg is not out of date if it is more than a week old! Funny how quickly you start to expect the very best when you have these wonderful girls )ch( in your life!

Effie
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Hard boiled eggs peel better if made from week old eggs. But once you have boiled them they will not keep long (2 or 3 days?)
If you are doing a salad would it be breaking your rule to have some hard boiled eggs for those who want one?
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

In acknoweldgement of 'the rule' our standard Saturday tea is a buffet with some of everyone's favourites. The girls pig out on boiled eggs, Toby gets a dish of nuts, hubby has picallilli and I get expensive crisps, victoria sponge for pud for everyone! - all balanced by lots of salad.

I'm not very mean, just a little bit. It has paid off, you can take them anywhre and know they will politely eat what they are offered. A pet hate of mine is when we have children round for tea and I get given a list of the things they will eat. I know I am in a bit of a minority amongst parents nowadays, but it's how I was brought up.

Note to self - step down from soap box, deep breaths...... )de:
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Here, here. Our 'rule' was we all had the same for dinner but lunch and breakfast we foraged for ourselves.
We started this system when oldest was about 3, he could get up whenever he wanted, sliced bread, butter etc. cereals, and crockery were all on a low shelf and milk in the fridge.
But I couldn't be too strict as OH hates cheese and onion, and picks all the fat off his meat. No great hardship as I'm not that fond of onion though I would have put it in a casserole, but my standard lunch is cheese.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

You used to be able to get pickled eggs in pubs, not sure how long they would last, but I thought anything pickled lasts ages.
Ilona
^b:
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Ilona, I thought that was the whole point of pickling things - to preserve them? However, I dont know how long, ie in years, they would last - and once opened, pretty sure it has to be used up. Sell by dates are the bain of my life - and most of 'em are a con to get consumers to throw good food away!!
(Off topic, sorry!)
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

When we have a glut of eggs I make lemon or orange curd - mind gluts here are few and far between.
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

stiggy
Lively Laner

Post by stiggy »

Cakes!

)t'