Its in the freezer

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Its in the freezer

Post by AnnaB »

Did 14lbs of onions yesterday and Richard 9lts of onion soup. Haven't sold any onions as yet.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Cor, Stratford's only two hours by car - or a day and a half on my Moped !!

They're very early. What variety have you and how did you start them off?
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Its in the freezer

Post by AnnaB »

Japanese sets were planted in Oct and I bought 3 kgs as I did not know what I was getting?? This turned out to approx 475 onions that I planted and you can't store them as they have fat necks. They are really good in stir fries as the green stems are like chives only fatter. They are good on salads raw and in soups/casseroles.
smallholderwannabe
Lively Laner

Post by smallholderwannabe »

We grow Japanese onions and your standard onions planted in spring. Each year we find that the Japanese ones do better than the others. We store the Japanese ones until about November/Christmas and use these first. The standard ones last until March/Easter - or until we run out, whichever comes sooner.

We've no onions at the moment and bought some from the greengrocer at lunchtime today - £1.30 per kilo for ordinary cooking onions. I'm in shock! Only bought two onions because I could not bring myself to pay for any more than that.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Its in the freezer

Post by AnnaB »

smallholderwannabe
How do you store them - do you hang them?
smallholderwannabe
Lively Laner

Post by smallholderwannabe »

I get those small cardboard trays (from Lidl's veg) and put a layer in those and stack them high. You know the small size trays with a strong corner that sticks up a couple of inches above the main part of the box? Lots of air flow as there are some air holes at the bottom edge too. Small amount of floor space taken up in the shed for a lot of onions stored. Sometimes I put a piece of folded newspaper between the rows inside the box.
S
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Its in the freezer

Post by AnnaB »

smallholderwannabe Thank you its worth a try as they're not selling at the door.....Do you dry them out first before you box them?
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Its in the freezer

Post by AnnaB »

Richard

Do you remember the French onion soup I made last year?.....today 1kg onions in Lidl (c) 20p, I bought 3kgs and have made another 9lts of soup!

Spring cabbage (British) was 23p a pack in there - bought 2, one for us and one for the girls.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Look - stop it - you know it's my favourite !!

Bad pun, but you certainly know your onions !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome