Very cheap meal

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Very cheap meal

Post by Meanqueen »

I am having my dinner, and it must be the cheapest meal I have ever cooked. A piece of tuna steak, found it in Tosco in the freezer, they were selling them off at 10p, YES 10p for a packet of 2 steaks, I bought 10 packets. Nothing wrong with them, long date. Cooked it in a pan in toasted sesame seed oil.

I picked a load of nettles on my dog walk and put these, with some tops off the beetroot plants, into my steamer with a potato and an onion. Sadly had to buy the potato and onion, mine aren't ready yet. Oh, I nearly forgot, a side salad from my garden.

I'm going to start letting my nettles grow in the garden, they are tasty.

Ilona
(f+
Last edited by Meanqueen on 07 Jun 2008, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

That's a great deal Ilona !

Any thoughts on Asda's 2p Sausage with 34% Pork !!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

ooooohhhh Richard, I couldn't eat pork, even if they were giving it away. :cry:

Ilona
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

Well done Ilona, I love your posts , so interesting and close to my heart, trying to be economical.

Going to morrisons at 10am wish me luck.

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Richard wrote:That's a great deal Ilona !

Any thoughts on a.s.d.a.'s 2p Sausage with 34% Pork !!

I wouldn't imagine for one moment that the little piggie has been reared in idyllic farmyard surroundings, rooting and grubbing around for it’s dinner; happy as a pig in……..mud. But then again with the spiralling cost of fuel, food and cigarettes etc I would imagine that there are a number of folk who’ll gladly take up the offer of a cheap meal regardless of the ethical and moral implications.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Re: Very cheap meal

Post by saint-spoon »

[quote="Meanqueen"]I am having my dinner, and it must be the cheapest meal I have ever cooked. A piece of tuna steak, found it in Tosco in the freezer, they were selling them off at 10p, YES 10p for a packet of 2 steaks, I bought 10 packets. Nothing wrong with them, long date. Cooked it in a pan in toasted sesame seed oil.

Were the tuna steaks dolphin friendly? Over the past 20 years of seafaring the number of cetaceans sighted seems to have plummeted, mainly one must assume due to intensive fishing practices and pollution (although the maritime pollution regulations are actually very good). I am personally very careful about what fish products I buy because the fate of our world relies strongly on the health of the seas; these unfortunately don’t get the same media coverage as battery hens and cute puppy dogs etc.
Bah Humbug
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I try my best
)eat(
Ilona
cheeky chicken
Lively Laner

Post by cheeky chicken »

Can you describe how the stinging nettles taste?
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

i would imagine a cross between greens and spinach
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

You only use the top few inches of the nettles, can't describe the taste really, like green cabbage, or spinach, or sprout tops, or broccoli leaves.
They can be a bit tough if you don't cook them long enough though. Spinach will cook in 30 seconds, nettles need longer. I put them in the steamer the same time as the potatoes and onion. I tried doing them in the microwave but they were tough, might try a stir fry next time but put them in first.
Ilona
)c+