Pickled Beetroot

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Pickled Beetroot

Post by kate egg »

Does anyone know how long I should leave it to mature after pickling? It is the first time I have grown and pickled my own beetroot. Only made 2 jars so far as the rest in the plot isn't ready but I was too impatient to try it :-D
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Re: Pickled Beetroot

Post by Homemade »

Beetroot is usually ready quickly. A week should be fine.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Thanks, I did try a piece yesterday and it seemed good. I made chutney a few weeks ago and know that needs a month or so to mature, it tastes oretty horrible and strong vinegary at first but mellows down.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Hey Kate, it's my first year of growing beetroot too and I've also pickled some.

Think it was about a month ago, still tastes pretty pungent though >dum<

Not to worry, I love beetroot, it's one of my favourites )eat(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I made spiced vinegar a couple of weeks prior to pickling, it has allspice and cinnamon amongst other things in it and I can taste this faintly but it isn't unpleasant. Am fairly decided that I will use the clear vinegar next time I think it is milder than malt.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Ah righty ho Kate, good for you )t' I just used a jar of pickling vinegar :-D but you've given me ideas for next time :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
pavel131
Lively Laner

Post by pavel131 »

kate egg wrote:I made spiced vinegar a couple of weeks prior to pickling, it has allspice and cinnamon amongst other things in it and I can taste this faintly but it isn't unpleasant. Am fairly decided that I will use the clear vinegar next time I think it is milder than malt.

I made spiced vinegar once, inadvertently. I cocked up the wine process.
I am an Dyslexic agnostic insomniac. I lay awake all night wondering if there really is a dog.
cluckymama
Lively Laner

Post by cluckymama »

Well done on your first crop )t' its my first year of growing beetroot too. Ive grown mine in tubs. Cant wait to pickle mine!
Emilie x
Funky chicken
Longlasting Laner

Post by Funky chicken »

I just used the brown malt vinegar, should I have used the clear stuff? It's my first tine pickling but would like to get it right when the others are ready to be pulled, I hate waste
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

The recipe I used said to use malt vinegar, I just thought the clear stuff might be milder and let the taste of the beetroot come through more..... Yours will be fine, don't chuck it out!
Funky chicken
Longlasting Laner

Post by Funky chicken »

Kate, do you just boil it, rub the skin off and slice it, put it in a jar and cover with vinegar? I didnt read a recipe, just did the above, how funny I never thought of looking for a recipe
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Spot on Funky >ch< I loved peeling them, very theraputic and I remembered to wear rubber gloves so my hands didn't go purple :-D

I only looked at the recipe cos I wasn't sure how long to cook it - some had a list of things a mile long, how unnecessary is that? Seemples is best )t'
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I love pickled beetroot. I have pickled loads this year using both malt vinegar and clear vinegar. Either way seems to have turned out fine.
Michael
poggles
Lively Laner

Post by poggles »

My favourite pickle of all, eat it with everything.
I try to make it a little bit different every year. Tried adding garlic one year and that was quite nice, but my most loved is adding a good teaspoon of chilli flakes to the vinegar (I use white) when you boil it. Really yummy!!!
I usually leave mine for a month before opening it, very hard to wait that long but worth it!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

cluckymama wrote:Well done on your first crop )t' its my first year of growing beetroot too. Ive grown mine in tubs. Cant wait to pickle mine!

)t' I grew mine in old compost bags :-D will certainly be doing some again next year :-D
Bev x