Easy recipes for a young'n

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Depends what you want to eat. I’ve got a top recipe for devilled kidneys if that what you want. I’ll have a guess that you going for some student food, cheap easy and filling.
For starters try cheesy beans, grate some cheese into some warm baked beans and serve on toast.

Soy egg and noodles, stir fry some egg noodles with soy sauce and serve with a fried or poached egg on top; add ham , bean sprouts, mushrooms or whatever to liven it up.

Easy curry, sweat an onion down with lots of garlic and add a table spoon of curry powder (I use son of morris balti). Once it’s all nicely coated pour in a tub of pasata (29p from sadsa) refill the tub from the tap and add that and a teaspoon of tomato puree (17p from sadsa). Simmer for about 15 mins and chuck in tons of fresh coriander. Top curry sauce. Obviously you can add whatever veg or meat that you want but always leave the fresh coriander until just before serving as it loses it’s aroma very quickly.
If you buy a cheap cut of lamb such as neck fillets chuck in twice the a mount of water and simmer for a couple of hours until tender ensuring that I doesn’t burn.

Chicken and sweet corn soup….slightly harder if you want to be ethical but well worth it. Make stock from chicken bones, (I take hours over this but I enjoy cooking)….. mix in a can of sweet corn in water and then whisk in a beaten egg to give that thick creamy texture. )lck(

Last one and my favourite quorn recipe…. Fry off the quorn pieces in oil as the packet says, chuck in a couple of teaspoons of tomato puree (17p cans again), a splash of water to make the sauce and a healthy teaspoon of smoked paprika (I use brat) and a good dash of soy sauce. You can add whatever vegetables that you want, mushrooms, courgettes and grated carrot work really well.
)c+ I forgot to mention that I add garlic to just about everything (except cheesy beans) and lots of it, roasted garlic soup is just about the best thing ever (I’ll have to look the recipe up as it’s just perfick.)
Bah Humbug
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have loads of veggie ones. But too many to post.

Pasta with Broccoli

Serves 3

350g dried Pasta shapes.
1 x 500 g broccoli
2 cloves garlic peeled, chopped
1/2 level teaspoon crushed dried chilli
6 anchovy fillet, drained
4 level tablespoons freshly grated pecorino cheese [I use parmesan]
salt & pepper

Trim and wash the broccoli, then divide it into small florets and cut the stalks into 2.5 cm rounds [1 in]

Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and slide the broccoli in..Stir well and, after the water has come back to the boil, cook for 3 minutes.
Retrieve the broccoli with a slotted spoon and pat dry.

Bring the broccoli water back to the boil and add the pasta. Cook according to the pack.

While the pasta is cooking put the garlic, chilli and anchovy in a large frying pan saute for 2 minutes, in olive oil. Add the broccoli florets and fry until they have soaked up the delicious flavours, a few minutes.

When the pasta is done drain and turn into the frying pan. Stir fry for a minute or two and then taste and check the seasoning
Serve with a liberal serving of cheese.

Quick and easy, we love it.
As I have said I have loads that are quick but you will have to PM me for a link, as I am not going to put them all on here, LOL haven't the time

Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Hi, why don't you have a lookie on the side of those little jars of dried herbs and spices from supermarkets, they have quick and easy recipies on the side, I just used one the side of a jar of tumeric (sp?) chopped cherry toms, tinned chick peas and tumeric as a side for a curry dish.

Also soups broths and the like are pretty easy - vegetable stock and then throw in all the veg and pulses you like with either rice or teeny tiny pasta.
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
pinky
Learner Laner

Post by pinky »

everyone loves good food ideas, but what about a drink for the summer..

ice cold fresh ginger beer.

equipment needed= 1 x 2ltr bottle (screw cap) i
1 x funnel

grate a ginger root into a dish (about 4 tablespoons worth)

add a sqeeze of lemon (all of it), and a cup of sugar (about a teacup full depending on how sweet you want it, you can add more at a later stage.)

then add i tablespoon of dried yeast.

put all of this into a 2ltr bottle and fill to about 3 inches away from the top with tap water.
give it a shake and leave it in a warm place for 24hrs
the bottle will go hard with the fermentation process so let the gas out after 24 hrs and put in the fridge for 2 days (then strain the bits out and return to the bottle

after that serve over ice and you will love it.
total cost £0.75p
maybe more if you want to use mineral water.

you may want to adjust quantitys according to your taste.

oh yes, if you want a bit of a kick to it add a red chilli, it will give it a nice warmth(remove the seeds)

enjoy

pinky
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

But you've left out the bit about dividing it in half, giving half away, topping up with ginger / water / sugar and doing it all again. I remember in the mid 50's there was a time when everyone, including my teetotal parents, had a 'ginger beer plant' bubbling away on the window sill. And exploding now and then.
pinky
Learner Laner

Post by pinky »

oh yes oopps.. )t'