Omelettes remind me of whales

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Mo
Legendary Laner

Omelettes remind me of whales

Post by Mo »

When I went to see the film Moby Dick with a school friend her mother made us omelettes (slightly runny) for tea.

So when I cook them and see the runny top in the pan I get a whiff of a flavour of the emotion of a 50+ yr old memory of that film.

What food triggers your memory?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Re: Omelettes remind me of whales

Post by Lillia »

It's a good thread, Mo, it's just that right now, the only thing :-D that comes to mind is not a pleasant thought~
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Toast and beef dripping with a sprinkle od salt always makes me remember my dad.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Theyre both really ordinary foods but, ham sandwiches always remind me of being little and visiting my granny and the smell of smoky, streaky bacon takes me back to our first trip to my aunt and uncle's in California.
Really really happy memories, great thread Mo {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

The title of this thread reminded me of Black Adder (not sure which series) when either George or Baldrick were told that they were thicker than a whale omelette.
Ok onto foods, for me it is soy sauce. We were probably very lucky to have a Chinese take away open in our town in the early seventies, quite possibly opened by a retired laundryman from off one of the RN ships. It was a rare treat, once in a blue moon, but the taste of soy sauce always takes me back to then.

edited to mention that it must be on sweet and sour chicken or prawn balls (not dipped in sweet and sour sauce) or in fried rice.
Bah Humbug
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Tea and rich tea biscuits always remind me of the days at nursery/primary school where I'd go to my nanas after and she'd make me tea and biscuits (usually rich teas) {hug}
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Whenever I spread butter on bread, I can hear my grandmother's voice telling me to spread the butter right to the edges, "otherwise people will think we're stingy"!!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

LittleBrownFrog wrote:Whenever I spread butter on bread, I can hear my grandmother's voice telling me to spread the butter right to the edges, "otherwise people will think we're stingy"!!

LOL - I'm the same with toast. I can even remember the day my dad saying something on the same lines - it was cold, wet and grey outside and we had come back from the beach (my dad had been fishing and I had been beach combing) and we made "special coffee" (this was half and half hot milk and water - it was a special treat, sometimes with marshmellows on top) and I was making the toast when he looked over my shoulder and made that comment.

Talking of toast, putting butter on cold toast reminds me of hotel toast.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Butter on cold toast always reminds me of giving birth - that first toast after going through labour, always cold, but always the best toast in the world! (somehow, after my fourth baby, who was born at home, the hot toast wasn't quite the same!)
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Oheckitseck

Post by Oheckitseck »

I can still remember the smell of my Dad's Tripe & Onions cooking..................it made me heave )loo( YEUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

LisaB wrote:Tea and rich tea biscuits always remind me of the days at nursery/primary school where I'd go to my nanas after and she'd make me tea and biscuits (usually rich teas) {hug}

Rich tea fingers always remind me of watchkeeping on HMS Fearless (after engine room)in the mid nineties, we used to play the dunking game to see who could go the longest without breaking off. Rich teas don’t last long in hot tea. If you put a rich tea finger one the end of your tongue and poke your tongue out you can do a reasonable impression of a Maori warrior.
Bah Humbug
paddy graham
Legendary Laner

Post by paddy graham »

Nice thick bacon with field mushrooms with the gravy my Dad used to make with the juice from the mushrooms,got near to it a few times but never could make mushroom gravy like he did. )eat(
When Irish eyes are smiling,they are usually up to mischief.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

The smell of pancakes, reminds me of the ones my Grandma made for me, on my half day from school. They were crispy thin, delicious with butter and lemon juice. Mine are like dustbin lids. And I can't manage more than two, I used to eat a stack when I was young.
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Cheese, onion and milk grilled on a tin plate with bread to dip and I'm back at my grandads in the 60's sat in front of the open fire listening to the Archers on the radio .. bliss.
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."