RSPCA Welfare Footprint Question

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

RSPCA Welfare Footprint Question

Post by Richard »

Sept 28th starts the RSPCA's 'Freedom Food Farm Animal Week'.

I've just received their Newsletter (you can subscribe to this for free on their Website HERE) and there's an interesting question on the 'Welfare Footprint' scored questionaire.....

When you are invited to someone's home for a meal, do you let the Host or Hostess know that you only eat higher Welfare products.

The only time I 'eat away' is at work (free range only) and at my daughter's who's a strict 'freedom food' fan.

So I haven't been in this situation.

Interesting question
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

All my friends know exactly my views, strangely enough.

Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Hmmm I only tend to 'eat out' with family, who share my views. But I leave the small print to them - not sure I always do the small print right myself (e.g. you can't always be sure manufactured foods don't contain battery eggs).

The difficult one is holidays when the choice is the local takeaway or supermarket that may not stock things you want.
Richard

Post by Richard »

That's so true Mo. It is extremely hard to buy, let alone eat anything, without having some doubt about where the contents came from.

We can but try our utmost is I think the right approach - maybe.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

wendy wrote:All my friends know exactly my views, strangely enough.

Wendy

Really Wendy? I find that very hard to believe! )j;
My friends and family also know my views. I HOPE they take them into consideration when shopping for food if we are visiting but I cannot force them. I just eat and hope for the best! :oops:

Lucy x
wendy

Post by wendy »

and I am such a quiet retireing little soul as well LOL

I am going on a cruise on Saturday. This is where I have a problem. I don't eat the eggs or the poultry. Not sure about the other meat, so stick to veggie and fish and I am sure that is tricky as well.
Wendy

Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Oh Wendy! Lucky you :-D

I'm sure you'll find something to eat. We went on a cruise when I was a kid, we did nothing but eat for two weeks :oops:

Have a fantastic time and a good rest :-D

Lucy x
wendy

Post by wendy »

That is the problem Mad Chick.

I am working like an idiot at the moment. When you have a house sitter it certainly concentrates your mind LOL. Even my cupboards get a good spring clean.
Wendy

Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

My friends know I never eat animals, but I don't expect them to scrutinise everything they buy. When I shop I read all the ingredients labels and if there's something I don't like the sound of I don't buy it. I have cut down on food with eggs in it, because I imagine most of them are battery. I like egg custards, but I don't eat them any more.

Ilona
Richard

Post by Richard »

Good point. I think we have to go back to 'pre-concienctious' days and think how we'd have felt if you asked some new neighbours or people you hadn't asked before and they told you that.

I think most of us would have probably said something like 'bloomin sauce of it', or words to that effect !!

It's difficult and like Wendy says, you go on holiday and can't be sure and going on a special holiday with 'eco' in the Company name would put another £600 on the cost of it.

Richard
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

When I was in Greece recently I thought I was going to starve to death until I hurt my back and couldn't think straight! I rarely eat beef/lamb/pork - especially just grilled/fried, I wouldn't eat the chicken - there were almost NO veg (despite lovely veg gardens next to each taverna) and the fish was extrememly salty!!!!

I really struggled for 5 days then was told at a bbq that there was chicken, beef, meatballs, pork, local sausages or frozen lamb. It appeared that the chicken and other meats had been bought at a local market so I assumed the chicken would not have been mass reared. So, for the rest of the hol ate fish, pasta and chicken and felt comfortable with my decision (rightly or wrongly).

But it is really difficult when eating away from home - I wouldn't dream of refusing a meal that someone had already cooked for me, although would be happy to make them aware of animal welfare issues for them to consider in the future.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Morgs
Lively Laner

Post by Morgs »

I eat meat, but only when I know for sure it's free range - so I don't eat it very often cos I can't afford it. trouble is, if people ask me, it sounds a bit 'poncy' to say 'oh I only eat organic/free range' (specially as it is so much more expensive), so to save having to explain, I just say I'm veggie!
It's better to be looked over, than overlooked!
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

I have friends who are very good cooks so as long as I do my bit I'll trust their judgement as to what they buy. I also have young friends who don't cook so they supply take away and I wouldn't dream of saying I wasn't going.
I'm off on horseback safari on Thursday so I will just have to eat what I am given.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Gosh, this is a thought provoking thread.

I have to be honest my friends know my views on animal welfare and know that I do not eat meat, as to eggs, well I would find it very difficult to go to a friend's house, to eat a meal they had prepared and prior to eating quiz them about the providence of the food.

I would be more interested in RSPCA doing a half-decent job of investigating farms which house animals in shocking states than answering questionnaires from them regarding what we do/don't do.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
leckyman
Lively Laner

Post by leckyman »

Untill about 12 months ago I wasn't too bothered where my food came from but I now have to admit to the fact free range/organic produce is top of my list. My wife will only eat free range chicken or fish (no beef, pork or lamb).

Now my thought process has started to come around to the fact that :-
1 dr-ugs, pestesides, feeds that are used can't be that good for us therefore our health will/could suffer.

2 Free range/organic must have more nutritional value and also taste much better which it does.

I think away from home you are in the lap of the gods unless you source your own shopping, having said that a lot of people now seem to provide an organic menu, you just have to look around.

If everybody bought organic surely the prices would start to fall )c(
Supply and demand !!

Dave