tiny spuds

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Mo
Legendary Laner

tiny spuds

Post by Mo »

Has anyone else noticed that supermarkets are selling smaller spuds this year.

I know that when I dig up my own they vary from pea-sized upwards, and I scrub or peel most of them and use them.

But spuds from a shop used to be egg sized or bigger, now there are lots smaller ones in the bags. I weighed them before I peeled them tonight. Some were 3 oz (what i used to think were small) a few slightly bigger, but a lot were about 1 oz.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: tiny spuds

Post by MissEllie »

I often buy new potatoes and even they're on the small side at the moment. :?
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

Not enough rain? :-D
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

fishpond wrote:Not enough rain? :-D

That must be it!!!!!!

I wondered if the rules had changed about what could be sold for human consumption and what had to go for animal feed.

Of course they never used to take all the big ones out and sell them as 'baking potatoes'
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

due to the bad weather last year worldwide, potato crops were very badly hit. (did you know Russia is a huge producer of potatos?!) Cost of spuds has escalated hugely this year due to the shortage too, so I reckon that the small pototos we are seeing is due to the bad crops, and also due to the economic issue - even small spuds are put in the bag.

I rarely peel any potatos - the skin is edible and full of nutrients - the small ones, I love to coat in a bit of oil and some sea salt and pop in the oven - with skins on - very tasty!

)ot: did you see lately that the LUMPER potato (the type that was used exclusively in Ireland and was the cause of the famine here) has recently been reintroduced, and is supposed to be very good quality/flavour!! (Havent found them on sale yet)
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I hadn't noticed (there are enough of us here that I buy a big sack from the tractor parked just along the road from T£sco), but I looked today & I think you're right Mo. Even the 'baking potatoes' didn't look like they'd make much of a meal. (I fish all the big ones out of the sack and hide them from dh, otherwise he turns them in to mash!)
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.