Mashed Potatoes

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Mashed Potatoes

Post by Spreckly »

What a lot of brilliant ideas for mashed potatoes. We just use marg and milk. Numbr one son puts a beaten egg in.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I can remember from childhood mum giving us tomato soup with a dollop of mashed potato in it, enjoyed it then if I remember rightly but would`nt fancy it in soup today.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

My mother used to add a raw egg to a big pan of mashed potatoes, some milk and seasoning to make it creamy. I think you need a big pan of potatoes for the egg not to be an issue. I'm not too fussed on potato varieties - each seems to lend a different flavour (something like Desiree or King Edwards, or a waxy potato like Charlottes or Kestrel all taste nice in their own way) - mashed with butter and milk and seasoning.

For a change, and again from my childhood, potatoes with swede mashed together with seasoning goes well with bacon or sausage if I remember - celeriac is a good alternate to swede.

Sauces can make the mashed potato - I love creamy sauces with lots of garlic, or something like onion gravy. Gosh, I'm making myself hungry now!
Last edited by lancashire lass on 12 Apr 2013, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Loads of great ideas for mash, we had lamb chops with peas and gravy and of course mash for tea last night, Mrs Spoon made a drier mash which is great with gravy as the spuds absorb the gravy well. We made loads so there is enough to sit upon tonight’s fish pie (admiral’s pie, fisherman’s pie etc), it’ll soak up the sauce nicely… now will the Tea-Spoon’s like their tea? That is the million dollar question.
Bah Humbug
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

)eat(

MrSpoon all sounding very yummy.

LL - you reminded me there, we always had carrot and turnip and still have it now )eat(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.