food safety question

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

food safety question

Post by bmpsands »

After a nasty incident years ago with a pizza that was delivered warm, rather than hot, I've been scared of reheating such things. However, following a prison day last week I spent the small housekeeping surplus on takeaway. OH doesn't like pizza (I know, very odd) so we ordered one pizza and one kebab. I usually throw away the pizza I can't eat but this time there was an offer on and 2 pizza were delivered for the price of one. My frugal side couldn't bear to throw all this food away so I've put 3 half pizzas in the freezer.

I'm now afraid to take them out and cook them.

I know you're probably all too domesticated to do something like ordering takeaway, but if anyone could tell me the best way to thaw and then reheat SAFELY frozen pepperoni pizzas I would be very grateful.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: food safety question

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I would just heat it in the oven from frozen, and make sure that it is piping hot throughout before serving.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I've never reheated pizza (not that we're too domesticated, just that there's never any leftovers in our house :oops: ) but if I did, I'd do the same as LBF )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

When buying from the supermarket, as I have done, the instructions say to cook from frozen. I've never had a problem and if yours was put into the freezer right away, you should be OK.
If you are talking about left overs that have been sitting about for some time before freezing, then I wouldn't eat. You don't know how long it has been cooked for before being delivered anyway.
Last edited by albertajune on 23 Apr 2013, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Oh dear, I used to just eat it cold in the morning or quickly pop it under the grill for a few minutes. oopsie :oops: :oops:
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

LisaB wrote:Oh dear, I used to just eat it cold in the morning or quickly pop it under the grill for a few minutes. oopsie :oops: :oops:

It obviously did you no harm LisaB. Just be careful if topped with something like chicken. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

albertajune wrote:
LisaB wrote:Oh dear, I used to just eat it cold in the morning or quickly pop it under the grill for a few minutes. oopsie :oops: :oops:

It obviously did you no harm LisaB. Just be careful if topped with something like chicken. )t'

That's a good point, June, never had meat toppings. Had friends over that do the same though with meat, never really thought about it being harmful :oops:
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

We always refrigerate our left over pizza's and reheat them in the oven the next day for lunch without any problems. )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks all

I put the extra pizza bits in the freezer as soon as they were cool - so no worries there.

Re-heating from frozen is the thing that frightens me, I think, but the only occasion when I can remember re-heating I thawed the pizza out and then put it in the oven. It was safe, but tough as old boots.

I'll maybe try it at the weekend.

thanks again
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

a bit )ot: but not entirely, I use a food thermometer and probe all the food I cook apart from cakes and bread, whether from fresh or heated up from chilled or frozen. One of my better buys, .
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I'm with LBF on this one - we do it all the time and look at us!! (perhaps not.)