Duck egg disaster

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

Duck egg disaster

Post by grandmaeileen »

Hi, we were given some duck eggs from a friend and I must admit I'm not a great lover of them, but scrambled they were ok, BUT... Keith (my hubby) makes the most lovely yorkshire puddings and tonight decided to use the duck eggs yike* they were as flat as pancakes!!

He was gutted!!

Back to basics and next batch with our girls eggs,

Any thoughts and comments welcome.
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

R.I.P. Queenie, Missy,little hen and Edna
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Re: Duck egg disaster

Post by redd_angel55 »

I've never tried to make Yorkshires with duck eggs, but appart from a slightly different taste, there isn't much difference is there? :?
Our Yorkshires were really flat a few weeks back, but I ran out of flour and bought a really cheap one from the corner shop, so I blame the flour!
Got the usual flour again and they've been fine since.
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Perhaps it's the higher fat content?
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Can't mention duck eggs in our house. Our lovely new neighbours gave us 2 last summer; I ate one and was fine. OH ate the other and threw up straight away. His mum says she tried him with duck eggs as a child and the same thing happened. Clearly he doesn't remember.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.