Sourdough Starter

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
plot45b
Learner Laner

Sourdough Starter

Post by plot45b »

Hello all,

I tried, but it died! - My sourdough starter that is... .

I followed some instructions online on how to make a sourdough starter. At first it looked promising, but now, nearly a week later, I have just ended up with a foul smelling blob that's stopped bubbling.

Has anyone got an idiot proof guide to starting a starter or a frugal way of going about acquiring one that's already alive please?

Cheers...
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Sourdough Starter

Post by Freeranger »

Sorry don't have time to look it up, but Hugh F-W does one on his River Cott site.
plot45b
Learner Laner

Post by plot45b »

Thanks. I've just ordered on off ebay so fingers crossed!
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Here's a link to a thread of mine from a while back now. Still feeding and using the original starter.
http://www.downthelane.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=44313

I just started using flour and water and it got away first time. I would recommend Paul Hollywood's book, 'Bread'. His starter is 250g strong white bread, 5 to 7 organic seedless grapes (for natural yeasts I guess) 250 ml tepid water. Put in a large glass jar cover and leave for a few days. Should take off in a few days this time of year. Once it is bubbly and slightly beer smelling, throw half away and add 100g flour plus 100ml tepid water. Continue having and feeding every couple of days for a week and you are ready to bake.

You can also make fantastic pancakes using your sourdough starter - see my post from a couple of days ago.

Happy baking :-D
Michael
plot45b
Learner Laner

Post by plot45b »

I'll go and check it out now.

Cheers!