Raised Game Pie

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
manda

Raised Game Pie

Post by manda »

T came home the other weekend with a few pigeon breasts, a couple of hares…so we thought it was the perfect time to make a raised pie.

We had some wild boar and duck breasts in the freezer so added that to the mix…..

For the pie I had a look on the net and did a bit of a meld of Delia Smiths

(http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuis ... e-pie.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

and from this site

( http://recipewise.co.uk/game-pie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

I didn’t have any red wine when I decided to do it…and T was out with the truck so I couldn’t get any (as mine is off the road!!)….so I used some red wine vinegar….and a bit of sugar….and do you know what it was lovely as a marinade !

Image Image

So hot water crust..which I had never made before but was relatively easy to make…more a challenge to actually get into the tin (I used a springform cake tin)….it was getting it so that you didn’t have a really chunky bit at the bottom of the tin as it comes up the sides….I still think it was a bit thick right in the bottom but hey it was a first attempt.

The meat I mixed with a good amount of salt and pepper (think it could have had a bit more to be honest), some herbs, cinnamon and ginger.

The cooking time was a bit of a guestimate in fact the whole thing wasn’t an exact science but I got there in the end…….

….and it tasted nice )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
AL37
Admin Moderator

Re: Raised Game Pie

Post by AL37 »

Now I am HUNGRY! )eat( :-D
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
wendy

Post by wendy »

Looks yummy. Clever girl. )t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

That looks good Manda, you amaze me with all the things you cook and make. I`d like to have a go at making a raised pork pie but never got round to it. You do inspire me though
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well done you! I have never attempted a raised pie. The cake tin seems to have worked well. I think you can get hinged oval tins for them, or I might have just made that up!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Oooh yummy yum yum. Lots of nice pickles and salad would go nicely with that, you clever clogs. {hug}
Havnt made a raised pie in ABSOLUTELY ages. {hug}
Lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Manda, that looks delicious )t'
[center][/center]Davina
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

yum yum )eat( )eat( )eat(
Bah Humbug
manda

Post by manda »

Thank you ....Lorna can I ask you ...is there an easy way to get that bit where the pastry goes round from the side to the bottom a bit thinner or is it just trial and error....it was OK but a bit thick for me.
mrs boodles wrote:That looks good Manda, you amaze me with all the things you cook and make. I`d like to have a go at making a raised pork pie but never got round to it. You do inspire me though

Thank you Mrs Boodles ....I hadn't made hot water pastry before but it wasn't that hard...I'll give anything a bash once and this was worth the time I think (I'm going to have a go at making pork pies now )grin2( )
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny