pickled eggs

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
thursday
Learner Laner

pickled eggs

Post by thursday »

Hello

My hens are top form right now and laying lots of lovely eggs so I thought I would pickle some for christmas presents (I do little hampers of homemade stuff). Does anyone else do this? If so, can you tell me if it matters a lot if the eggs break a bit when they are in the jar? I find that when I put the last egg in, it squashes downa bit and cracks another one - will that one be too vinegary to eat?

All othe rtips welcome of course!

Thanks

Caroline
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi caroline (f+ (f+ (f+

my dad loves the cracked ones they are stronger i dont like them cracked for that reason )t' )t'

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

I must admit to never having eaten a pickled egg ... ever!

Your post has made me determined to at least try one.

Trouble is, which brand of pickled eggs should I buy? I'd hate to go to the bother of pickling my own eggs if I didn't actually like them. Has anyone any suggestions? And is it better if they are in white vinegar or brown vinegar?
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

You can always vary the flavour, try curry, chilli or mustard.
Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Do you pickle eggs the same way as you pickle onions???

And... when do you start to pickle ??? Soon for xmas? I would like to do both this year so tips please! )t'

stace (f+
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
thursday
Learner Laner

Post by thursday »

they are really simple to make - just hardboil some eggs, let them cool, pack in a jar and pour pickling/cider/white wine vinegar over them up to the top of the jar.

recipes seem to vary a bit but I decided on keep for at least 2 weeks before trying and then store for up to 6 months so making them now for Christmas seems fine.

I'm making chutney this evening as another hamper item so the house stinks of vinegar.

I shall market them as being a mixed jar - the cracked ones being the stronger ones for people who prefer their pickled eggs stronger! perfect.
wabbiter
Learner Laner

Post by wabbiter »

...i've never pickled eggs , but i'm going to try some. do you pickle them with the shells on, the ones i've seen in shops are shelled :shock: ...mack
Life is too short to travel fast and miss it
wabbiter
Learner Laner

Post by wabbiter »

4 french hens wrote:You can always vary the flavour, try curry, chilli or mustard.
Mike

please can you explain, do you add spices to the pickling vinager :? ...mack
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

flavoured pickled eggs

Post by 4 french hens »

Not sure when you add the spices, but I cannot see any time other than in the vinegar.
An aquaintance in England used to do this and sold them around the pubs in Essex and they were a great hit, he made lots of money and did it for a living. I can remember the eggs being in big vats of pickling mixture and then being bottled and sold for immediate consumption. They sold under the name of "Curly Cols Pickled Eggs" and were described on the large, ex sweet jars, as "The're the Dogs Boll**ks" and apparently were very well flavoured due to the amount of time they were in the pickling vats, probably a couple of weeks.
They were red=chilli, green=curry, yellow=mustard and were generously spiced, bit of a pepperami my mate!
Best thing to do would be to experiment with some small quantaties and let me know how you get on.
Just remeber to use eggs that are 2 weeks old or you will have trouble peeling the shells away from the whites.
Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I made my mum a big jar of pickled eggs last christmas. I just boiled eggs, cooled them then peeled them and put them in a big jar. When the jar was full I poured over ordinary white table vinegar til they were covered, sealed the jar and left them for a couple of months. I gave her them along with a bottle of blueberry gin and 2 bottles of flavoured sunflower oil for my dad - went down a treat!!
wabbiter
Learner Laner

Post by wabbiter »

just done 2 jars today,

2 dozen eggs [boiled and shelled]
600mls white wine vineger*
3 cloves of garlic[ crushed ]*
2 tsp dried chopped chillies*
3 tsp pickling spice*
*put in saucepan.
bring to boil....simmer 10 mns
cool.......seive.
put eggs in jars
pour cooled liquid over them till covered
seal jars
ready in november. )t' )t' )t' ....mack
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I have never eaten a pickled egg although I must have eaten all other permutaions as I love eggs. Are they very vinegary? I just cannot imagine what it would taste like!
wabbiter
Learner Laner

Post by wabbiter »

the ones i buy are good not too vinegery, so the ones i do myself should be better )c+ in theory....mack
di T
Learner Laner

Post by di T »

l always buy the jars of pickling vinegar which is ready to use and you gain a pickling jar , and all you do is pour over it what you want to pickle ,tighten the lid and leave for acouple of weeks.

di
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Do they still taste eggy or just of pickling vinegar? I think I am going to have to try one just to satisfy my curiosity :-D