free range turkeys

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
juicylucy
Longlasting Laner

free range turkeys

Post by juicylucy »

I have decided that i will buy a free range turkey this year for the christmas dinner...we have xmas dinner at my mums so as i insist on a free range bird i will be buying it!
Have just started looking into where to get a free range turkey but have just phoned the local butcher who can source local free range bronze feathered birds. I will be able to collect the bird on christmas eve morningwhich is great as i want fresh and not frozen.
The butcher doesnt know how much it will cost at the moment but i was told to go in to the shop in the last week of november to order and he will have the prices.
From my own research today for a 4-6kg free range turkey the cost is approx £30-£40. I know this sounds a lot but i really cannot bear the thought of eating and being merry muching on a bird that has been intensively reared and maybe lying in a heap on the floor as it was unable to withstand its own body weight.Also the thought of the bird never having access to the outdoors and hardly any light has made my mind up..free range this year!
Any thoughts???
Whats everyone else gonna be eating on the 25th??
1 gorgeous boxer dog, 2 oap cats, 1 black star and 10 ex battery girls
http://www.henrehomers.net/
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi Juicy
We always buy a free range turkey from our local butcher. They are from a local farm and slaughtered locally too so no long and cramped journeys either :-D I have no idea about the weight, I just tell him it's to serve 10 - 12 with about the same amount left over for turkey sandwiches, turkey curry, turkey risotto, and a turkey soup! )j;
I normally pay around £35. Good value if you consider how long we'll be eating it for )j;

Lucy x
juicylucy
Longlasting Laner

Post by juicylucy »

Good on ya lucy )t'
I only eat free range chicken and ashamedly haven't ever given much thought to the poor ole turkey at xmas :oops:
Since being involved in hen rescue i have had my eyes opened wide and i feel disgusted with myself for not buying free range turkeys in the past :oops:
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Ah don't feel bad about it, we are learning all the time. As long as once you know things you live by them that's the best you can do.

Last year I got two big f/r chickens to feed the 6 of us and the dog, I have 3 teenagers with big appetites.

The year before I got a f/r capon from the local farm shop, cannot remember the weight except it was bloomin' heavy and it cost about £45 :shock: We also have a big day on Boxing Day and I usually do beef, that year we had 2 double ribs and it cost near on £50 for that. I think I was in shock for the whole of the Festive season, but it was good stuff and ehtical too :-D

This year, there will probably only be 5 of us so not sure yet other than it won't be B Matt.hews cr*p
wendy

Post by wendy »

We fortunately don't eat poultry at all. This year we will have lamb, they don't mess up them.

Kateg I didn't think you could get capons nowadays as I thought it was illegal to sell them for eating
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Maybe it wasn't, it was a big chicken and they always used to say capon at the local butchers, but thats going back a few years, its just a term I thought applied to big chickens (in my ignorance :oops: )

I have tried to get the family to agree not to have chicken or turkey but I am a lone voice in a crowd of 5 so am outnumbered. I really don't know how I am going to feel on the day, I haven't cooked one since getting our chooks. I'm not sure I'll be able to eat it after all. We enjoy lamb (had roast lamb tonight) and I feel happier eating it as I know they have a better life than most animals that we eat. I could happily be vegetarian, but the boys are carnivores :?
juicylucy
Longlasting Laner

Post by juicylucy »

Kate caponising is now illegal. It involves the implanting of a hormone pellet in the birds neck. This hormone was leaking into the human food chain so it has now been banned.
I'm not sure how long ago it has been banned for but it hasnt been that long as i know somebody who had one i think about 5-6 years ago.
Try not to feel guilty..if you know that the bird you will be eating has had a good life and has been reared happy.
I know what you mean about being a veggie..i think i will eventually become a veggie..i am eating less and less meat these days.
wendy

Post by wendy »

We eat mainly vegetarian, Always do at home. But Christmas I do cook lamb for himself and I don't mind eating meat provided it has had a good life. Just can't eat fowl for obvious reason.s
Wendy

kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Oh I didn't know that was what capon meant, I thought it was just a variety or the size - silly me :oops: But its going back at least 5 years now as the butchers closed down quite a while ago.

The ones from the farm shop are Norfolk Bronze I think, but I shall be very careful that whatever we get will be free range.

Its really hard sometimes to stick to your principles when the rest of the family don't mind, and they eat so much (all skinny :!: ) and I really have to watch the food bills. I just do the best I can :)
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

£30 - £40 is a really good price.

I have been looking into free range turkeys and some are up to £12 per kilo :shock:

I am also providing the bird this year so will bear the cost. It is worth it to ensure the birds had a decent life. )t'
Jackie xx
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

We have always had free range turkey. A friend of my mums raises 2 dozen or so on his small farm and we always get one of his. I'm not too ure how much he charges as mum always buys me mine as a christmas present.
juicylucy
Longlasting Laner

Post by juicylucy »

Babycakes that is fab )t'
I wish i knew someone like your mums friend
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

At 6pm on Christmas Eve, a car drives into a leisure centre car park (the very leisure centre I work in....). A man gets out and opens the boot. A dozen people jump out of parked cars, hand the man money, then disappear into the night carrying large, heavy bags.....
Thank goodness it's just us picking up our turkeys, it must look extremely suspicious on the CCTV LoL
wendy

Post by wendy »

That sounds fine Babycakes [ I had a boyfriend once that called me that, it always makes me smile]
If I knew they were humanely raised and then killed humanely I would have one. But I just don't like how they slaughter fowl
Wendy

manda

Post by manda »

We had Turkey last year...it was nice to have the whole roast thing but it was so hot it really doesn't seem right......so I think this year we'll be going back to the BBQ, so steak and prawns and all that jazz for dinner.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny