DTL Christmas Hamper

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

I am going out today to see if i can find some bottles for doing this!

I really dont know where to start :?

Any Ideas??? confused>

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

I found this company on Johns' site for glass jars www.jbconline.co.uk.

I might start preserving next year.
Jackie xx
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I was given a fantastic hamper last year with, amongst other things, homemade truffles and peppermint creams and cranberry and white choc flapjacks! )c+

YUM! )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I have various bottles and kilner-style jars from :- recycling lemonade bottles (the old-fashioned type with a similar stopper to a kilner jar mechanism, iyswim) which meant I had to drink lots of lovely old-fashioned pink lemonade..poor me!! Jars mostly from car boot sale, never paid more than £1 each, one or two for a similar price in charity shops - am lucky that there are quite a few good charity shops in my general area. Couple of bottles from ikea, £1.50 each, very like the lemonade bottles. All sterilised with milton tablets or liquid before use.
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

That's a good idea Babycakes, I'll start scouring the charity shops. I won't have anything to preserve until next year so hopefully I'll have loads by then (f+
Jackie xx
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

This is where I order my glass bottles and jars from:

http://www.bottlesandjars.co.uk/

I do go mad on making jams, chutneys and pickles :oops: :oops:
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
nossys
Lively Laner

Cranberry Gin

Post by nossys »

I did Cranberry gin last year

Pricked the cranberrys, added the gin and a couple of slices of orange peel.

Shook them gently every week. Left it till Christmas, it tasted a bit like the orange Cointreau liquor. It goes a lovely redish colour.

Very potant.
Lyn & Mick
nossys
Lively Laner

Post by nossys »

Sorry forgot you need to put sugar in as well.
Lyn & Mick
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Sounds yummy - what sort of quantities?
Badger_Lady
Lively Laner

Post by Badger_Lady »

I love making chocolates!

Truffles are easy and popular... liqueurs are much more tricky with a high failure rate - oh dear, all those poor little broken cherry liqueurs that have to be eaten :shock: Do you think this one will break if I poke it? :razz:

I've got myself a really nice mould from eBay, which is about 3 inches high and shaped like a Rose. My plan is to make rose "lollies" with white truffle mix at the top, and a little red food colouring to make it pink. Wrapped up in sellophane, and bunched together with a ribbon.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

MMmmm, sounds lovely!! I woinder how many will fail quality control and never leave the kitchen......I dont think any would get past me and Grace LoL
nossys
Lively Laner

Christmas pudding vodka

Post by nossys »

Just been searching for the quantites for the cranberry gin as i have lost the recipie found this sounds interesting:

Christmas pudding vodka

INGREDIENTS:
1-litre bottle vodka
1 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 cinnamon sticks
1 star anise
50g raisins
50g almonds, roughly chopped
peel from one large orange, scrubbed
peel from one large lemon, scrubbed
8 cloves

PREPARATION:

1. Combine all the ingredients in a suitably large bottle or containers. Ensure all containers are sterilised by running through a dishwasher cycle or washing thoroughly then warming in a low oven.

2. Shake or turn the containers once a week for about two months.

3. About two weeks before drinking, strain through a fine sieve and/or coffee filter paper.

4. Once the two weeks are up, decant to pretty bottles and either offer them as Christmas gifts or keep them all to yourself.

I might have a go at this one as well this year.
Lyn & Mick
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi (f+ (f+ (f+

oooooooo that souds nice )c+ )c+ )c+

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
Badger_Lady
Lively Laner

Post by Badger_Lady »

I've just mixed my Christmas Vodka! I've done three 500ml bottles - two with Smirnoff red label, and one with Blavod (black vodka). I happened to have it in my pantry :oops:

I substituted some of the raisins for dried cranberries, firstly because I had some needed using but secondly because it seemed appropriate... I also only had one cinnamon stick so I topped it off with a bit of ground cinnamon...

The mix smells devine, I just can't wait to decant them now! I've asked all my lodgers and colleagues to look out for pretty glass bottles and save them for me :-D

ALSO - Poundland have at the moment got some nice little Stainless Steel cocktail shakers in (proper ones with an ice compartment). Goes very well as a gift package with the vodka, at only £1 a throw )t'

THANKS FOR POSTING THE RECIPE, NOSSYS!!! )c(
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Sorry, if I am going a bit off topic, haven't read this thread for a while. In answer to Jen, I went a bit mad and bought about £100 worth of glass jars, bottles and lids (that way I got free postage) I cannot remember how many jars I got in total well over 150. If you e-mail them they will send you a price list back. Afraid I don't have mine anymore. No kitchen at present to go mad.

Back on topic - I had some cheap bottles of vodka from a well know supermarket, well every little helps, and I made bottles of limoncello as gifts. Still got some in the back of a cupboard I keep meaning to drink.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/