DTL Christmas Hamper

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
bluebell
Legendary Laner

DTL Christmas Hamper

Post by bluebell »

This subject was brought up on the Christmas thread. Just wondering if we had to fill a hamper what would you put in it. I normally make the odd one or two hampers but would love suggestions and recipes please which people think are winners.

Any ideas?
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Fire oil!!
I put about 30 tiny red and green chilis into a litre bottle (sterilised of course!!) and fill it up with warmed (just warm, not hot!!) oil - I use sunflower cuz my dad likes it for stir fries, but you could use whatever you want. Shake gently every few days.
I made a litre of this for my parents last christmas (along with some garlic & basil flavour) and the LOVED it! If you are doing garlic oil you must make sure it is stored int he fridge - cant remeber why but it is very important!!
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I recycled bottles that pink lemonade came in, old fashioned type with a metal bit that pushes a sort of plastic bung down into the bottle, they have to be airtight. The oil seems to be lasting indefiantely, the longe rit sits the stronge rit gets, so the less they use. I'm making more this year because they've been using it for almost 2 years now!! They only use about a tablespoon at most per use - it is VERY strong! I have some in my own house that is in similar bottles that were quite cheap in eye-kea (about £1.50 each)
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I once did a little wine hamper for my Auntie and Uncle - those 25cl bottles from the son of Morris - 4 for £5 at the moment. I added a pack of peanuts and other bits and bobs and made it really pretty :-D
New to all this
Lively Laner

Post by New to all this »

I love the idea of the chilli oil. We have loads of chillis on our plants a the moment. Would make nice gift for chjildrens teachers and very inexpensive.
)t' )t'
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

If you get a nice looking bottle it really does not need any decoration because the chilis look so pretty inside.
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

i really like this idea of flavoured oils..please tell me how to make the garlic and basil one sounds great )t'

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Yes i like the idea of both!

I have to italian friends that i could pass those on to for xmas!

Let us know how you do it please!

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Same as the chili oil. Get a basil plant, pick off whole, undamaged leaves and gently push them into the bottle - I found rolling them and then putting them in was easier, they unroll inside. Add some whole cloves of garlic, cover with warmed oil of your choice, leave to infuse. Remeber though, you MUST keep garlic oils in the fridge!!
Like the chili one, they seem to keep for months and months.
I also did blueberry gin. Buy one tub of reduced to clear blueberries for 50p and one bottle of supermarket own brand very cheap gin. Prick the skin of each blueberry gently with a sterilised pin or needle (just hard enough to break the skin and no more) Put them all in a pretty bottle, fill bottle with gin and seal. Shake very gently every few days. This turns the most amazing dark pinky purple colour and the longer you leave it the fruitier it gets. Or so mum says, I made it for her.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Thankyou babycakes i am going to try both!

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

me too

also like the idea of the gin )t'

thanks

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

I bet it works well with vodka too )t'
Jackie xx
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

yeah jackie

good one )t'

tina xx
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

I'd love to make preserves to give as Christmas gifts but I find the jars and bottles are really pricey and we don't have that many used ones and they tend to be moulded or printed with the makers name.

I have found kilner jars at TSEOC for £1.25 but not sure if they are air tight and sterile a this price.

Any ideas?

Effie
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I might try the gin again this year, wonder what it would be like with cranberries...?

Effie - dont know about airtight but can aways be sterilised with a drop of milton, the tablets are very cheap