Garlic Infused Oils!! A No No!!!!

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Crumbs - this thread has really suprised me. How come this isn't more commonly known (or perhaps I just don't get out enough any more!). I really thought you could just pop in a clove of garlic & leave it on the shelf (not that I have I don't think)

So what happens with the commercially produced oils?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

How common is botulism?
I've come across it as a plot device in books (the woman who killed her mother-in-law; the murderer who escaped detection for the mur.der he did, but was got for accidentally poisoning someone). They were US books, and was that warning on a US website? So do we get it in this country?
Mind you, I think I've heard a warning about bottled runner beans, long ago.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Well i have seen it on the forum in the River cottage so its seems a well known fact!

I had no idea until i was doing a search on making the olive oil with the garlic just to get some ideas!

Just thought it was a good idea to let everyone know!

I will be going for dried chillis anyway! )t'

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Perhaps it has not been that common because garlic flavoured oil is a relatively new practice I imagine (for the UK!) as people become more adventurous tasting new products? Pickling, smoking & salting have been the usual method before freezers which would probably have inhibited the growth of Cl. botulinum. The gyo market combined with healthier eating (that is low fat, low salt) means people will try new methods that are not always suitable for long term storage.
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

OH CRIPES...

I have just pickled a whole load of onions in white vinegar and I added lots of garlic cloves. Christmas pressies for friends.
Should I be worried? Does anyone know?

Ma Larkin
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

No, I think they should be fine as they are in vinegar which is acidic (apparently it inhibits the growth of the bacteria) It's only when you put the garlic straight into oils to infuse them with the flavour over a long time.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

stace wrote:Well i have seen it on the forum in the River cottage so its seems a well known fact!

I had no idea until i was doing a search on making the olive oil with the garlic just to get some ideas!

Just thought it was a good idea to let everyone know!

I will be going for dried chillis anyway! )t'

stace

Hi Stace

Just thought I ought to let you know that I looked at your page about garlic oil and a couple of others and one says chilli oil is the same - but I THINK it was fresh chillies they were talking about. Sorry cant find page at mo!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Yes penn

Thats why i am doing dried chillis in my oils for xmas!

this seems the safest option! )t'

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Johnhson
Site Admin

Post by Johnhson »

Oh I do love the internet - somebody sees something on a web site and it makes a good story so it gets picked up and spreads around and nobody bothers checking the facts, after all there's X number of web sites saying the same thing so it must be true.

I explained to a journo from a national newspaper that she may well have read on a number of web sites there were 330,000 allotments but I was sticking with the figure from the parliamentary report.

Anyway, back to chillis, garlic in oil. We we spoke with a trained chef and then the health people. There is, in theory, a very small risk. Bottling with hot oil however negates this.

Here's a safe method for making garlic oil.

From the safety of your meteorite proof shelter ('cos you're more likely to get hit by one than botulism :) )

1. Put the garlic into a warm, sterilized jar.
2. Heat the oil to around 180ºC/350ºF and then pour it over the garlic in the bottle/jar and cover tightly.
3. Leave to stand in a sunny place for 1 to 2 weeks and then strain through 2 thicknesses of muslin.
4. Pour into a sterilized bottle and seal with a sterilized cork or screw-top.

Enjoy - we do..

Arghhhhhhhhh........
Author of the top selling book 'Vegetable Growing Month by Month' Click Here to View
Johnhson
Site Admin

Post by Johnhson »

You can do the same with chillis - we have done so successfully. Since the chap from the health dept said there was a very small risk (which we would ignore ourselves) we thought we'd better try the 'safe' method.

There is a big problem in our society - people have become risk terrified. I blame a media (including many blogs / forums etc as well as the press) for this. There's no story in 'garlic in oil safe, 99,999 times out of 100,000' or 'Very tiny possible risk, somewhat less than falling down the loo, found in garlic'

Strangely the newspapers aren't full of stories about that big killer in our society, one that kills and maims many young people. Each year nearly 3,000 people are killed and 30,000 are made seriously ill, often with effects lasting the rest of their life like brain damage.

Do be careful driving to the shop!
Author of the top selling book 'Vegetable Growing Month by Month' Click Here to View