Who's eaten Squirrel?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Who's eaten Squirrel?

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

Who's eaten squirrel? After HFW prepared it the other night,and in light of the fact that they can be major pests in some areas, I quite fancy trying it. Anyone knows what it tastes like? :shock:
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Nutty? )j;
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Dunno, but I wouldnt mind giving it a go myself
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

on Britains best dish programme, jilly whatsername (wine expert) had to taste squirrel pie and was about to throw up as she ran from the studio!!! :shock: She said it tasted like foxes smell(if that makes any sense). Musky . earthy, rank and yuk come to mind. Personally this was enough for me to be put off trying it, although there are no squirrels on this island , so It's not on any menus here ^b: )c+
Looove chucks!
wendy

Post by wendy »

I saw that programme as well. I don't know if I would eat it though.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
New to all this
Lively Laner

Post by New to all this »

I saw it once on another cookery programme and they made a version of duck and pancakes (substituted the duck with squirrell) They handed them round in the local pub and everyone said they were lovely.
Don't know if I could eat them though - it is more the thought of what it is. Saying that I eat rabbit and pheasant so I assume it would taste gamey like those.

Faye
BigMeanUglyOgre
Lively Laner

Post by BigMeanUglyOgre »

I used to eat squirrel and chipmunk back in my scouting days (mmmm... tasty mini bears). There was never really anything offensive about the taste. It just tasted like meat. Not quite like chicken not quite like pork. It was just meat.

Meat that I didn't have to backpack in and therefore lightened my hiking load.

Just be sure to cook it thoroughly so as to avoid all the nasty pests, etc. that can come with them.
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

There are many things I admire about HFW and he has had a massive influence on what I eat.

The thing I don't admire about him is his love of eating squirrels, baby rooks straight from the nest etc.

I'm sorry and I don't expect everyone to agree but to my mind there is just no need to start adding these creatures to our diet.

I much prefer to see them in the wild.
Jackie xx
wabbiter
Learner Laner

Post by wabbiter »

i eat squirrel regulary, it tastes gamey but its excellent, especially in casseroles....they are quite a pest where i live they steal all the birds eggs...mack )t'
Life is too short to travel fast and miss it
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

It's just going to get people doing it in their back gardens and causing stress to their birds isn't it.

I must admit that I started going off him a bit when I visited the rivercottage website and it's all courses to be like Hugh or come and let Hugh's team teach you.... or come and meet Hugh himself!!

All OK I suppose but it's all a moneyspinner and only really for the better off.

I only saw half of it but I'll watch the repeat on Sunday so I know what I'm on about then email him (rivercottage website) to complain. He really has made a difference to me but when fame comes at that price it's too much.
Jackie xx
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

I'm gonna write to him to complain about his enthusiasm in suggesting to people that it's actually a good idea to keep chickens, but not telling people how to care for them or that they're a major responsibility and it's not all fluffy, cuteness and eggs every morning :?

My neighbours worship this guy and his programs and they do believe that life is really like that. They grew veg last year, but failed to harvest it properly and just let it ramble and rot in the ground. Growing veg and keeping chickens is hard work.
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

I would be willing to eat baby rooks too. But only in from an area where they are going to be culled anyway. I'd be at my happyest eating fish,as I just can't summon up any guilt there.

I do however agree with the comments on the chicken slaughter. A handheld dispatcher isnt very expensive,and to be fair,with squirrels, I would find it hard to wack them on the head. I guess it's finding a balance.
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

I love fish too, COTH and can't find any guilt.

Hypocritical double standards I know, but I couldn't eat squirrel or birds who hadn't even had a chance at life.

When I go to Center Parcs I take pounds of peanuts to entice the squirrels then share the chalet with them for a week :oops: (f+
Jackie xx
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Jen wrote:I wouldnt mind trying it i suppose but i wouldnt go out looking for one.

Chickenchaser, talking about hugh - did you see river cottage autumn last night? I'm starting to dislike him a bit, i always try to watch it and always try and see the best, but its just become so fake and silly.

HI Jen. I would like to add to your post that I lOVED River Cottage Spring and (quite unexpectedly) began to revere HFW...

BUT this week, for the very first week, at times I found him intensely patronising and irritating. A real step away, not just from reality but also from the dream....

Rather than (as previously) being informative, encouraging and inspirational, he frequently came across as self obsessed and extremely false. For me, it appeared he was merely going through the motions for fame and fortune.

Helen

What a shame. I am very disappointed,
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

Nope, never eaten squirrel, but should I happen to find myself with an airgun or some other mode of death, then I would. Meat is meat, cheaper to kill and eat a pest than buy something shoddy from a supermarket.
)ot:
I'm beginning to sense there's the same kind of thing going on as packet labelling.
Anyone with an ounce of common sense will know or realise that keeping animals or growing veg is work.
I wouldn't expect his programe to give me the in's and out's of welfare for animals, it's only on for an hour. If you want to keep animals or grow veg, then it's up to you to find out all about it, or watch programmes that are more informative.
As an overview of what can be possible then I find this invaluable. It comes with more ideas than I'd think of for myself, and what I like about it is that it's gives an overview of everything, rather than just being a cooking programme, or a foraging programme.
As for his website, yup, he's defiitely turned himself into a marketable commodity, but to be honest, so would I. Money to keep stuff going has to come from somewhere, and if you make this bloke out to be an idol, he'd be an idiot not to cash in on it.
Only thing is, all idols have clay feet.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...