Who's eaten Squirrel?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

Ed, I think you are the type of farmer we all hope our animals come from. I hope most farmers put the welfare of their animals first as you do.

I watched the Rivercottage Autumn catch-up on Sunday and I disagree that they showed it "warts and all" I think it was heavily edited. Jen is completely right about the chicken slaughter.

HFW is trying to get us to keep livestock to eat and grow our own veg and the programme is aimed mainly at everyday people like us who need to eat better and know where our meat comes from. I am usually a huge fan and try to support my local farmers when I can but it worries me that this particular part will be used by people who may cause distress and pain to their birds, however well meaning they may be.

That said, I'm happy we have an experienced, caring farmer on our forum. It's good to hear things from your side of the fence as well. I hope you like it on her too. (f+
Jackie xx
Ed Jones
Learner Laner

Post by Ed Jones »

is it safe to look over the parapet? i don't mean to upset anyone and i respect other's opinions believe it or not, unfortunately, i'm not very good at calling a spade a two handed, manually operated soil excavation device. apologies to anyone who feels they need one, (my opinion on animal welfare stands, just apologising for the delivery!)

this might raise a smile, i'm a volunteer advisor with the CAB, who have political correctness all sown up, and boy do i struggle. i try and behave, but sometimes i listen to stifled conversations where common sense needs to prevail, and so play that little game with the cat and pigeons. I look at the manager, and she's wondering why i'm there... )de:

change of subject...bacon...from humanely dispatched happy pigs (sorry) we take out OSB pigs to a butcher in denbigh who makes wonderful sausages (we had 110lbs last time from four pigs) and cures the most lovely bacon and hams for us. we did have a go with curing some bellypork as an experiment, but it was only fit for adding to other dishes. if anyone is within striking distance of denbigh, it's well worth the journey.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Jen wrote: or a bird paralysed in a lot of pain.

Can you feel pain when you are paralysed?
Bah Humbug
jackwets
Learner Laner

Eating Squirrel

Post by jackwets »

Yes I have caught and eaten squirrel a few times now, not too much meat on them but its quite nice tasting and quite chewy!
The only thing I would say is learn how to skin them well, the fur sticks to the meat as is very very difficult to remove.
The easiest way is to lay the animal down on its front,lift the tail and make a small cut through the skin underneith the tail.
Turn the squirrel onto its back, stand on the tail with your foot, grasp the back legs and pull up.
The skin should peel back over the body, remove legs and head, then gut as any other animal,(small cut from belly to chest, remove and discard intestine, saving heart and liver if you want.)
Its as simple as that! we generally roast ours with bits of chicken and garlick and a spicey dip for a delicious starter!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

:shock: think I'll stick with pork or lamb from the butcher )t'

Although we did get given a pheasant last year that hubs and youngest son skinned and prepped for the oven (much easier than plucking, full instructions on a you tube video)