Rice Cookers

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I always use my microwave rice cooker, it is so easy and only takes about 8 minutes to cook perfect Basmati )t' Would recommend to anyone, its is so good. I cannot cook rice on the hob without it going sticky.
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi jen (f+ (f+ (f+

i got one and couldnt do without it if i make rice in a pan its nasty :oops:

mine can also slow cook )t'

its the second one i have had and the best my first was quite cheap but did the job well,but my new one ive had for about 3 years is a tefal one i got it from ebay as a seconds one the only thing wrong was that it was a white one in a stainless steal box (not a problem for me)i got it for half the price as the one in a.r.g.o.s )c( )c(

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

We have an electric steamer that has a bowl for cooking rice. Not sure if this is the same method as a rice cooker but it makes lovely rice. I can never do it in a pan either. :oops:

Lucy x
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

I think part of the problem of doing rice in a pan is that a lot of us use too much water. I went through a spell of getting rice cooking spot on. I used to use a cup to measure the rice, add twice as much water as rice, put the pan on the hot hob, put a lid on pan and let it bubble away for five minutes then turn electric hob off and leave. When I went back to it about 15 minutes later I would have perfect rice. Then for some reason I was always having to add a bit extra water or not use as much or take longer. I was still doing exactly the same but it went to pot.

I then got a rice cooker, had perfect rice for three months and then burnt the non-stick lining of the cooker off :oops: :oops: :oops:
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

hi

been cooking rice with the method of 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water..bring to boil..simmer then turn off lidded and the rice absorbs the water

its o.k but sometimes is still sticky...especially basmati rice just can,t cook it

so looking at the rice cookers in ar gos n they have one half price for £9.99 does anyone think this would be any good?

does anyone have that model (its cookworks)?

or is it false economy?

thanks

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Microwave rice cookers are bril, quick, and cheap, perfect rice every time and not another electricla gadget cluttering your cupboards up. You can use it for other things too )t'
essentialequine
Lively Laner

Post by essentialequine »

to get perfect basmati, rinse it in cold water first to get as much of the starch out as possible, I normaly do 3 good rinses, then cook, dont stir it more than once, once cooked drain and rinse in COLD water again then rehead in the microwave, believe me perfect rice, in fact I had someone here for a meal once who is a trained chef and she said my rice was the best rice she had ever had )c+
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

hmmm

tried to do basmati rice like that before....lots of rinsing before and after cooking...but wasn,t that good the only thing i can think of is i am a bit of a stirrer when cooking may be too much stirring

kate where do i purchase a microwave rice cooker?

thanks

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I think I got mine from son of Morris or Willlkos or Adsa or somewhere, maybe you could google? It was about a fiver.

Its dead easy - chuck the rice in, just cover with boiling water, 4.5 mins on high, take out stir, top up to just cover again with boiling water, 4.5 mins on high take out stand for a min, rinse with more boiling water, its perfect every time (Basmati)
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

thanks kate )t'

i have a rice basket in my electric steamer..wonder if that would do the same thing? might give it a go...don,t fancy another eletrical gaget in the house have no room!!

tina xx
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi tina (f+ (f+ (f+

i have a cookworks bread maker and thats really good )t' )t'
it was half the price as other well known brands look at the reviews if they have some to see what other people think :) :)

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
essentialequine
Lively Laner

Post by essentialequine »

chickentina wrote:hmmm

tried to do basmati rice like that before....lots of rinsing before and after cooking...but wasn,t that good the only thing i can think of is i am a bit of a stirrer when cooking may be too much stirring

kate where do i purchase a microwave rice cooker?

thanks

tina xx

you must only stir it one time once it comes to the boil, its hard to stand back and leave it but you must :-D
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

thanx

will try not to stir from now on )c+

tina xx