microwave bread recipes

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
montenegro
Learner Laner

microwave bread recipes

Post by montenegro »

has anybody ever tried baking bread in their microwave? home-made bread is wonderful but most of the cost is the gas for the oven. My microwave cookbook says it can be cooked in there - although not brown and crusty - it's certain to be cheaper - and a lot quicker :)
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Hmmmm, I've tried cakes and they go dry very quickly. I have a breadmaker for my bread now. Perhaps with extra water in the recipe the micro bread might last a bit longer! )c+ . It's still got to be better than shop bought stuff! (f+
Looove chucks!
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

no never done bread in a micro

have a bread maker use it everyday..sometimes twice with my lot!!!

i am sure it would taste better than the shop though!!!

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Hi i make my own bread about 2/3 times a week, i try and fill the oven when i put on an that helps with the cost, i ushally make 2 x2lbs loaves and freeze 1. I used to think i wanted a bread maker but not sure now it would be something else out on the worksurface, taking up room.
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
montenegro
Learner Laner

micro bread

Post by montenegro »

thanks for all those thoughts... i do make 4 loaves at a time, cool, slice and freeze, but what with all the veg and fruit we needed an extra freezer so that didn't help the electric bill :!: not sure how long the cost of buying a bread maker would take to offset the cost of buying bread? i have the time to make it, just trying to do it as cheaply as possible saving gas and electricity! i will give it a go and let you know how it turned out.
montenegro
Learner Laner

microwave bread recipes

Post by montenegro »

Well, i've done some only not how i'd planned! made the usual 4 loaves, 2 white + 2 brown and have just been down to slice the extras for the freezer only to find the brown ones had raw middles - like a core - so into the microwave for a few minutes and hey presto! we have properly cooked bread. Its not dried out and -the crust at least - tastes lovely )c+
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

Thanks for the update; I was wondering how it would go.

How long did you cook a loaf for (I presume you did a single loaf at a time), and on what power setting?

But most important of all - would you do it again in the microwave, or the normal oven?
montenegro
Learner Laner

microwave bread recipes

Post by montenegro »

sorry to mislead you.....glass or two of the red stuff before I wrote that :oops: I baked as usual in the oven but then had visitors, didn't check the loaves were done properly and it was only when i went back later to slice that i realised the problem.

but one day i will do the whole process in the microwave just as an experiment
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

Ahhh ... I understand now. :-D
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

I would definately recommend a bread maker. You can get them quite cheaply now and put them on overnight so I am sure it would soon pay for it's self. Mine was so good it is now in the loft because we were eating too much. I don't eat bread (would if I could lose 2 stone)!
hfbinnie
Lively Laner

Post by hfbinnie »

I have cooked bread in the microwave. It comes out fine but there is no crust. if i remember rightly there was also no need to wait for it to rise
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

i use bread maker for the making of the dough for bread etc and then make all fancy loaves or sticks, once risen and knocked out shaped and left to rise get wonderful comments and beautiful bread/cooked in oven once risenhave 3 small ovens like very small so dont cook in big oven although id love a arga, any offers for xmas????