Thanksgiving

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Effie
Legendary Laner

Thanksgiving

Post by Effie »

The last Thursday in November is Thanksgiving Day in America. When I was childminding, we celebrated all sorts of festivals from different faiths and cultures. Thanksgiving became one of my favourites. I had fond memories of going to a freinds house as a child. Her American Mum was sure I was woefully underfed, I was so thin. She made it her mission to feed me enormous amounts of Thanksgiving food- fine by me )t'

I wasn't going to bother this year, I hadn't organised anything and I am totally worn out and short of time but offspring #1 has shingles so we are stuck in at home and I decided to go for it.

After rooting round in the cupboards, fridge and freezer, instead of having turkey fajitas, its:

spicy parsnip soup

turkey rissoles stuffed with cranberry
cramy garlic mash
roasted root veg
broccolli and french beans
cornbread

Pumpkin pie for pud )c+

The only ingredient I needed to buy were 2 eggs. I'll be having words with those girls )ch(

Time to think about what I am thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving, Effie
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

Happy Thanksgiving, Effie!

I do so love the family togetherness demonstrated by Thanksgiving Day in the US.
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi effie (f+ (f+ (f+

at work today we gave the children a little ginger bread man each as they left i said thank you for comming and they said thank you for the treat it was very nice and the parents loved it too :) :) :)

happy thanksgiving

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

can i come!!

I love corn bread, i have family in America and when i lived at home with me parents we would go every year around either hallwoween or thanksgiving.

My mum still makes corn bread every now and then and brings me plate full.
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Where's the EDIT button when you need it!!!!!!!!!!

P.s hope you had a nice thanksgiving xxxx
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

I used cornbread as a standby snack when I was minding. All the kids loved it, it was really cheap (as filling, healthyish, quick and unprocessed snacks go :? )

The only slightly tricky ingredient is the corn meal (dry ploenta) But it's available in health food shops and large supermarkets Asian section. I kept a batch of pre-mixed dry ingredients in a tub, just added milk, oil and an egg to 2 1/2 cups of it - from there to the plate in 20 minutes.

Here's the recipe

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Golden-Sweet-Cornbread/Detail.aspx
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"