Mince pies

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Mince pies

Post by mellonia »

Hi

what can i say they are amazing aren't they mince pies, i have had quite a few boxes already, maybe about 6 boxes, i really really love them probably averaging 2 a day.

Does anyone else share this everlasting love of the mince pie. Its such a simple thing but heavenly. I can't big up the mince pie enough.

Hooray i especially love it after chrimbo when they sell them off in the shops 25p a box and i buy loads.

I love christmas,

Regards

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
wendy

Post by wendy »

Not overstruck on them I am afraid. So you can eat my share
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

One or two will do me Mel, too much sugar, I don't like Christmas pud either, too rich, not keen on Christmas cake, oh dear, not a lot left.

Ilona
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Most mince pies seem very disappointing, home made are usually best but only me eats them so don't make them. Like a little Christmas pud though, but only a little as its so rich :)

So I think you have all our share of the Christmas cakey things Mel!
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Good job we don't live near each other! I am addicted to mince pies! I have avoided buying any 'cos I am too fat but on Saturday
I was shopping in Sainsbugs with my Daughter and ofcourse they were on bogoff. So, I got two boxes, myself daghter and o/h had two each and she took the other box home. then on Sunday had the neck to ring me up and say they were having a cup of tea and mince pies! Lidl's were the best in a taste test and that is my nearest shop! I need help, I don't know how long I can resist.
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

I'm all geared up for making my own puff pastry. Thought I'd try making them with a little marzipan in them. Maybe some amaretto too. But I'm not going to let myself be tempted until nearer Christmas! Could eat boxes of shop bought ones, as long as I have some indigestion medicine!
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

I love 'em!! (f+

They have to be made with sweet shortcrust pastry for me and Cooplands are the best but I'm not paying nearly £2 for 6 so any others will do really :oops:

I hated them when I was younger but now I love 'em (f+
Jackie xx
kdoc
Lively Laner

Post by kdoc »

I have to ration them in our house we all love them.OH will sit and pig put on a box by himself especially with a hot toddy.

Karen
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Chicken on the Hill wrote:I'm all geared up for making my own puff pastry. Thought I'd try making them with a little marzipan in them. Maybe some amaretto too. But I'm not going to let myself be tempted until nearer Christmas!

Ooo I like the sound of those )eat( yum, yum
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I grate orange zest into the pastry before cooking and add a teaspoon of cream cheese on top of the mincemeat before putting the top on. Sounds daft but it makes them soft and creamy :-D You have to keep them in the fridge though if they don't get eaten straight away, although this never happens in our house! :-D

Lucy x
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I love Christmas cake - I would eat the fruit cake first and savour the marzipan (extra thick layer LOL) - not struck on the icing sugar.

Christmas pud - I've already eaten 5 (single portion pots!!!!) already :oops: :oops: :oops: I like the ones with bits of nut in them :-D

Mince pies - no, far too sweet for me and I'm not a great fan of pastry either (gives me indigestion) so I'm not bothered.
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

For great sweet short-crust pastry use:

8 oz plain flour
2 oz trex or lard
2 oz butter
1 tbsp icing sugar

cold water to make into a paste.

The combination of fats makes it very short and crumbly.
The icing sugar makes it a bit sweet, but not too much.

Chicken on the hill - you are a brave person. :!: We made ruff puff pastry last week with years 10 and 11, what a performance. The lads wanted to, and about 5 mins into it decided that we were right when we said it was much easier to buy it ready made! )t'
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

I've made 6 doz already this year and need to make more as they are all gone ( 5 doz to the school christmas fair)

i make mine with a star on the top as it saves calories!!LOL
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

Bollybarb

i put stars on top of mine also..but haven,t made any yet this year...but after reading all your comments gonna make some very soon

made choc chip festive shaped cookies for the xmas bizzare this year

usually make mince pies but haven,t any mincemeat in the house at the mo

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

yum yum, i have just eaten my last one tonight so will have to source some more, might get other half to take me to aldi or lidl for some more, as i read they were nice, have had tesc* average, kipling excellent, m&s extra special old fashioned ones had done some overtime so went all delusional and believed i was worth it, got two boxes didn't like the first few as very boozy, but now i think they are amazing.

Christmas pud, christmas cake totally totally excellent.

When i lived on my own my mum made me a lovely christmas cake, i had cake for tea on many occasion, just couldn't top it.

I didn't realise it was indegestion, that warm feeling, but now i can put a name to it, i love it. Its like the mince pie is still with me. I am always cold so that fire you get warms me up.

Hooray i have my christmas head on, its all fruity and rich and indegestioneee.

Regards

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye