organic chicken

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
misty
Legendary Laner

organic chicken

Post by misty »

While in sainsbugs drooling over mince pies the girl put out an organic chicken reduced to £4.50 from £9.99 so I grabbed it. It weighed 4+ of thoses kiloie things. Wanted to find out if it really tasted different so I just roasted it on Sunday, lovely. Today I took the meat off the bones and put in the slow cooker with mixed herbs, strained, gave the skin and odd bits of chicken to dog. Put stock plus carrots, diced potato back for a couple of hours, added onion, leeks and an odd bit of cabbage. O/h 'phoned to say he would soon be home so whizzed it up just a little, added the cooked meat, made some herbie dumplings and put in an hot oven to cook and crisp the dumplings, scrummy. There is enough left for soup tomorrow. Oh, and it was so much nicer than other chickens so I really thingkI will be getting Daughter and her partner (hate that expression) chickens for Christmas!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

It would not surprise me that the more expensive items will start to be knocked down in price - despite HFW & JO campaign, when money is tight people will buy the cheapest regardless of the conditions they are reared. The organic stock on the shelf probably wasn't shifting as fast as they would like.

Glad to see you made the most of yours misty :-D
bookbinder
Lively Laner

Post by bookbinder »

Recently there has been a lot of organic meat on the reduced counter at Tesco... always a couple of things, but now LOTS... handy for the freezer!