Soya Milk

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Soya Milk

Post by Babycakes »

Can I just use it the way I use cow's milk??
I have started using it because it's lower fat than full cream cows milk (isn't it??) and I'm trying to lose a bit of weight in a way that I might actually stick to this time. I have put it in tea and it was fine, couldn't tell the difference. Can I use it to make porridge?? I thought I heard somewhere that you can't heat it?? I make porridge in work in the microwave you see, and I'd like to use my soya milk for it.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I'm surprised you said soya milk is ok in tea. Usually when you put it in a hot drink it curdles, and looks horrible on the top. I love So Good, out of the chiller, that's the name of it, I have it on cereals, but not in coffee. Is your soya out of the chiller, or is is long life from the shelves? There may be a difference. I haven't tried it in porridge, because I make mine with water and a sprinkle of Coffee Mate in the pan whilst the water is heating up, then add the porridge. That works fine for me. Maybe someone else has made it with soya.

Ilona
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Hmmm, I have pesky's own brand, out of the chiller I think, and I keep it in the fridge at home. I just poured it in tea last night to see what would happen and it was fine.
I may have to experiment when I get home....most of my milk is consumed warm one way or another, so if I can't heat soya I'm gonna have to re-think
juicylucy
Longlasting Laner

Post by juicylucy »

Babycakes have you ever noticed in the supermarkets a purple top milk called 'the one'?
Its 1% fat but looks and tastes like semi skimmed. I always get this when i see it. I know loads of people who are slimming use it, its great for cereals etc.
1 gorgeous boxer dog, 2 oap cats, 1 black star and 10 ex battery girls
http://www.henrehomers.net/
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I used "The One" milk before, and I liked it. But now I have to have full-fat for Grace, and I can't find "The One" in small enough containers - it'll only be me using it and I dont want it to go off before I finish it.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have used it in tea. Don't get the sweetened, it's horrible.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

You can freeze semi- or full-skimmed milk. Buy the one you like and freeze in ice cube trays to use as needed without worrying about it going off. HTH :)
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
dogcatcher
Longlasting Laner

Post by dogcatcher »

I have to use soya milk because of a lactase intolerance (gives me migraines), so I can confirm that it is great on porridge.- that's the long life stuff.
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

I don't use soya because I'm very unsure about how it's produced. The bulk seems to be grown in South America to feed cows for burgers, bulk up all sorts of products and ofcourse for milk. If anyone has different information would like to know about it as like bc would prefer to use it to milk as I don't like the way that is produced either!