What would you do?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Thrift
Learner Laner

What would you do?

Post by Thrift »

What would you do?

I have half a jar of malt extract that is way passed the 2007 use by date. Every so often we have a fancy for malt loaves, then the fad passes. I was going to make one tomorrow until I saw the date on the lid! Would you use it or throw it out and make something else?

Back in the days before the date had by law to be printed on the jar, people would eat stuff no matter how long it had been in the cupboard until it was used up. I have myself used mincemeat and piccalilli, both about four months out of date - we didn't suffer any ill effect after eating these. But! I'm still thinking perhaps it would be best to throw this jar of malt away and have done with it.

Just for curiousity how long would each of you keep using something from a jar when the use by date had passed?

I have already made my mind up what to do, but I thought I'd ask you anyway. :)

Sue
"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift. That is why we call it The Present." - (Babatunde Olatunji)
vyxxn
Lively Laner

Post by vyxxn »

I'd use it and make the loaf - then invite people you dont particularly like :razz: :razz:
www.vyxxn.co.uk
FREE RANGE MOTORCYCLING AT ITS BEST
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

If it had mould on it I would scrape that off, then give it a sniff. If it smelt o.k. I would use it. Don't believe in all these silly 'dates' that's why we have so much food thrown away (not in my house).
I'll get a 'Get Well' card just in case.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I have used packet casserole mixes that have been a year or two out of date, and tinned stuff is also usually OK if there's no damage to the tin.

As the jar had been opened I would be a little more cautious, but as long as it wasn't mouldy I would dip my a spoon in a taste a little - then decide. Then I think I would end up with a malt loaf or two )t'
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

I'd use it, regardless of the sell-by date - if it smells as it should, then it'll be OK. And use it to make quite a few malt loaves and freeze them.
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

i would use it , after all when the date has expired you havent opened a product after opening for the first time there is nothing wrong with it , i use it, as for yeast extract it can only mature and become a little stronger so use smaller amounts, wouldnt stop me
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Depends what it is.
Fatty things (butter, crisps) could go rancid and meat products could make you ill if they went off. But a lot of 'dry goods' would be OK if there's nothing much crawling in them. Baking powder loses it's ability to make things rise (and they only sell big tubs now so I have to throw it out - though I do use it past it's date). Herbs change flavour.
Milk goes very odd if kept in the freezer much more than a month.
Homemade jam thats growing mould on I scoop it off, take off a big spoonful, and clean the top of the jar.

I use my judgement.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Dried herbs are one of those items I have lurking about, and might only use about half of them on a more than regular basis.

There is only so much Star Anise you can use every week. :-D

Agree with others about the malt extract (and other items for that matter). We have stuff in our cupboards which I will check for the date and then realise it's a month out of date, whereas once I would have chucked it, I now check to see if it is Ok and will use it.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

:oops: :oops: I know Star Anise is not a herb, it's a spice - honest, I did know (oh how embarrassing!!) :oops: :oops:
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Malt extract and syrups past the sell by date are usually fine - they have such a high sugar content that bacteria won't grow in it (that's why crystallised fruit & jams are a good way of preserving fruit) Mould & yeasts on the other hand are different - but you can usually tell if they are thriving from their very visible growth and change in smell (musty, yeasty or alcoholic ^b: )

Next step, after inspecting the food and deciding it looks edible but still not sure, ask OH to taste it )t' but don't say why ...
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I use my senses, smell it, squeeze it, taste it, look at it. Does it smell rotten, is it squidgy when it should be hard and vice versa, does it taste vile, is there mould growing on it, then make my judgement.

Ilona
Julia
Longlasting Laner

Post by Julia »

Use by dates, sell by dates and best before dates are all different.

A use by date is the one to take more notice of but the other two are just indicating that the food might not taste as good or the flavour will be less or the nutritional info will not apply (less vitamins).

I trust my nose and tastebuds rather than dates on jars so I would use the malt.

Apparently they have dates on honey and I've heard from a reliable source that it never goes off because of the sugar content and the natural antiseptic in it.
Free hens are happy hens. Chicken centreparcs now complete! The girls love it.
Thrift
Learner Laner

Post by Thrift »

I had decided not to use the malt extract - however after reading some of your comments, the jar is still on the shelf and as yet unopened. It looks perfectly fine from the outside looking in, trouble is!! I can't get the lid off to smell or taste it! I've been intending to ask my husband or son to open it, but when they are about it never enters my head. :?

Anyway if I ever do get the lid off the thing and it smells and tastes alright, I may yet make some malt loaves using it. Oh, I must also say some of your comments made me smile. :)

Sue
"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift. That is why we call it The Present." - (Babatunde Olatunji)
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Ah - you need advice on opening the jar now! If it has a metal cap, put this into quite hot water (the lid should expand faster than the glass) and also melt any crystallised sugars trapped in the thread )t'