Dog barking..

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
nettles
Lively Laner

Dog barking..

Post by nettles »

I love animals, so this is a bit difficult for me to post. But, I have to!

My next door neighbour has just rescued another dog, they have had their other one years and he barks normally, within normal doggie bounds, and he is great. The new one, small and yappy, barks at everything. It has been going on a few weeks now and even my neighbour, a friend, is getting distressed and talking about taking him back to the dogs home!

We thought he would settle down but he hasn't. Spent weeks reassuring my neighbour but even we are at our wits end now. If little dog is in the garden he barks at me through the fence the whole time I am in the garden, if I talk to him etc he just continues, I am in the garden alot because of my chooks so it is becoming a nightmare. He does the same with any neighbours in nearby gardens, cats, birds everything so it is becoming continuous now.

I work from home on the phone and even with the windows shut the noise is dreadful.

Any ideas? Please? I know my neighbour would be thrilled if we could solve it as she is becoming really stressed with it all.
Everything comes to those who wait...
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: Dog barking..

Post by Grannyof4 »

If she is leaving him outside on his own then that has got to stop. There are various "gadgets" which can be used but the best method is for the owner to be outside with the dog and try to stop it barking and then reward and repeat etc. Sure you get the picture.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Yes Wendy is the one you need to ask, i have a yorkieXjack russell, she barks at anyone new,and when the door knocks, i hate it so i know how you feel. Your neighbour should be keeping her in doors more perhaps? If lucy goes outside early in the morning and starts to bark, she gets brought inside, lets hope it soon settles down )t'
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
nettles
Lively Laner

Post by nettles »

Thanks for the replies.

The little dog is only outside with the older dog, the neighbours are home alot and spend alot of time with them, they are only out in the garden when the neighbours are home, by choice I hasten to add. My neighbours do try to cajole, get them in etc whenever his barking becomes continuous. They are conscientious people and did take their older dog to training, but the newest one is 6 years old already. The neighbours are the sort of people that take their dogs camping with them rather than put them in kennels, and I dog sit on the rare occasions they holiday without the dog , I havent looked after this little one yet.(they are guide and scout leaders too, really good people with animals and children:kind) They are home alot, one only works part time, the other full time, their son is a student so home alot too, and he helps, they are really frustrated. The dogs get proper walks and runs, for miles some days. They do get alot of attention.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Its such a shame, i hope they soon find a solution to it Nettles, its not that they are not trying is it
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hiya.
Had problems with the 'puter tonight.
I would let the dog out, but on a a very long running line. If he barks at all. The command is 'in'. Get hold of the end of the lead and take him in. No need to negotiate or cajole the dog. Straight in if he barks. He should start to realise that the barking is ending garden time.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
nettles
Lively Laner

Post by nettles »

Thanks Wendy, will let next door know that tomorrow, it sounds like it could be a smart solution to me, very logical. ( a bit like when dogs pull on the lead just turn around and walk the other way? I did that with Joe, their older dog, he is a terror on the lead with them, but not me! I sought advice after he sped off after a motor bike, tied my legs with his lead and I ended up lying on the road on my back, highly embarrassing and extremely painful... )

Thanks very much, hope it works because he has a good home with these lovely people and I want to help them. Will update you on progress.

Thanks everyone who replied.
xxx