Poorly Jackdaw

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Hi ya - Thanks for all your suggestions. I did ring somewhere called Weirfield Wildlife Hospital at Lincoln, they suggested I take it to them, but to be honest didnt have the time as its a fair way. So they suggested ringing the RSPCA which I did and the lady came at 1 p.m. If the Jackdaw had a chance she was going to take it to the Wildlife Hospital above, but unfortunately it had a broken leg, right on the joint, joining both the long pieces of bone together, so it was pts straight away, very peaceful and quick.
Must admit I was very impressed with the RSPCA, but think partially it was something to do with the fact that I mentioned the Hospital above and partly because I said I hadnt been impressed with them in the past (long story, dont ask) when she asked if I wanted some information sending to me about gifting money. Or, am I being too cynical?
It was a baby, not a full adult. There were no marks on it at all, both the RSPCA lady and myself examined it after its demise. Apparently birds can get canker of the mouth which I didnt know about, so have learnt something today.
Once again, thanks guys you are great. RIP little Jackdaw.
wendy

Post by wendy »

That's a shame, but you did try and now he/she is out of pain.
I feel the same about the RSPCA [another long story] but sometimes they are the only ones you can ring, where wildlife are involved.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

What a shame. We used to have a brilliant wildlife place near us, it has since closed.
The RSPCA have "never" helped whenever I've rang with things, we had a load of Gypises leave all their chickens in the village once, & who was it out in the dark looking for them.....yes me & Darran, they didn't want to know, they're not like the programme. We never did find them, so i suspect the fox did :cry:
Cheers
mel x
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

Sorry to hear it didn't make it, but at least you gave it a chance and that's all you can do.
Unfortunately in my experience with injured wildlife quite often if they are sick enough for a human to catch them they are in quite a bit of trouble already :?
There are SOME successes so it's not all bad!
:)

It is good to at least learn something from each encounter though. Yes over here the RSPCA doens't get involved in wildlife rescue, they only deal with domestic animals. You can get info on helping wildlife from state government agency responsible, and you can usually get a wildlife shelter (run by volunteers) to take on the animal.
Sometimes it can seem like they aren't very helpful, but I try to bear in mind that (even with the RSPCA and also on the 'helpline' run by the state government) these people are volunteering their time for free so they might not always be able to provide the help I'd want!

Interesting that it turned out to be a young bird. I wonder how its leg got broken? It's not something we came across that often, unless there was a calcium deficiency present. Our breeding season is pretty well in full swing here for most birds (although WA was a lot earlier), so I would have thought you were in the 'off season', but then I guess yours might be a bit later than ours as a bit colder climate.
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Bless the little jackdaw, at least you tried, it is always hard wanting to help something like that and not knowing quite what to do.
I found a gannet on our nearby beach , it wouldnt move and the tide was coming in. I put my cardy over its wings and my cousin held its beak...they are huge!!, and we put it in a garden. the mspca werent interested as it was sunday afternoon and they had no staff on duty...eeek. I felt awful leaving it , and other people had rang it in too. I'm sure it wasnt long for this world, my brother says that they dive into the sea for fish and sometimes swallow plastic rubbish instead. We as humans have a lot to answer for , not taking enough care of the environment. ^pl}
Looove chucks!