Our young Toffee

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Willow
Legendary Laner

Our young Toffee

Post by Willow »

Just after I proudly stated a few days back that 'our cats' 'never' touch the chickens... Young Toffee our male teenage kitten was down the garden with me and the rest of our extended family.. Suddenly there's a huge commotion and our Brown leghorn is sprinting across the garden with Toffee in hot pursuit.. I had this flash of never being able to let our chooks out again etc etc.. but Toffee just had a mad hat day, (not that the chicken would understand) .. but he spent the entire afternoon chasing everything , regardless of whether it was a garden chair , our cats, dogs, leaves or grass, he even attacked a bush! not rabid, just hyper playfull.. :shock:
Today we were all down in the garden again - toffee and the other cats milling around with the chickens as per normal when I noticed our big white chook (Amy) watching Toffee, as soon as Toffees back was turned - Amy charged at him and chased him clear across the garden!! you should have seen the cat move!! I couldnt stop laughing, had no idea at all why Amy did that as Toffee hadnt done a thing, I couldnt believe how she actually waited for Toffee to be facing away from her.. they're not daft are they?! Toffee came straight back by the way and all was calm again..
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

They certanly are not daft )t'
When we first let the local ill 'feral' cat move in , after she got well was kinda stalkingthe 6 little bantams. They suddenly all turned as one and chased her. Loads of respect on both sides now :-D :-D
Poor ole Toffee though!
Last edited by chucky egg on 15 Feb 2008, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
Chucky Egg
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

We think the chooks just sit on their perches at night clucking contentedly and dream of worms... huh... I recon they get in a huddle and hatch out game plans for the next day..
I think the attack on 'poor' Toffee was well planned and organised..
"right, Harriet, you distract him, Bethan keep a look out and when all is clear - Amy, go in for the attack from the rear..... Beethoven, note top speed and distance of the sprint for future reference.... "
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
I wouldn't put it past them!. That must be what the scratches on the floor of the pen are.... PLOTTING AND PLANNING:-D and I thought they were just 'scratches'!

After two years now Puddah Cat (yeah I know -it was used in the early days and we weren't quick enough with a new name. Now stuck) will sit near them and they all just pootle around her. Any other cat and its trumpets at dawn but there is now an understanding. Toffee will get there, bless his little cotton socks!
Animals can certainly teach us humans a thing or too about compromise!!
Chucky Egg
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

... maybe there was some truth in that animated film "The Chicken Run" :-D
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

The longer you keep chickens, the more you can see that film from a different perspective!!

Albert Einstein
wendy

Post by wendy »

True Tina, true
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning