My Fishes

Post by saint-spoon »

I know that they aren't fluffy or particularly ah but i love them all the same

Photobucket

This is bumblotch (don't ask).

Photobucket

this is Big Red

Photobucket

this is the whole lot, they are actuallt very tame (if fishes can actually be tame. they will feed from your fingers which always amuses visiting nephews and assorted guests.
Bah Humbug
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

They are not fluffy but they are certainaly beautiful!!

Oh and love the names!
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

we keep fish too!! our tank is 450litres, (thats quite ample, ahem!) and we have ciclyds (sp) from lake Tanganekia.

Really, its the husbands domain, but I name them... here are a few of there names....

Huckleberry (finn!!)
Biro (blue lips, looks like hes been sucking a biro)
Hercules (BIIIIG plec)
Spot (becasue, yep, he has spots!)
Pike (looks like the pike out of Sword In the Stone..)
Everton (looks like an everton mint)
Goldie (hubby named him - he is gold)

and lots others, but my fingers are running out of steam!
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
wendy

Post by wendy »

Beautiful.
I have about 20 fish of all sorts, comet, shabumpkin [s] etc in my pond. So peaceful to sit and watch.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Lovely fishes. Are they Discus? Been years since I kept fish in tanks and never did get round to having any Discus.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Gwenoakes wrote:Lovely fishes. Are they Discus? Been years since I kept fish in tanks and never did get round to having any Discus.

Indeed they are; just about as pretty as fresh water fish get IMO although some of the African rift lake cichlids are impressive. Like all pets they are quite demanding but the rewards outstrip that ten fold. They need very soft and slightly acidic water which is not ideal when your water supply comes from chalk streams. Anyway we've got Big Dave (named after me by a friend), Big red, Bumblotch, little melon and big melon (the same colour as little melon but bigger. We've also got three clown loaches, a pair of unidentified loaches and anohter tank with Neon tetras and some clowns (we're going to restock once we decided what to get.)
Bah Humbug
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

We had Cichlids, bought two very small Oscars that grew to 12". Unfortunately one died and the other just starved itself to death.
Was really sad watching it. Even tried getting worms, cut up and then feeding by hand, but all to no avail. In the end my OH had to end his misery bless him.
They were very intelligent though and very gentle even though they had two good rows of teeth. They used to love to be stroked, it used to send them into an almost trance state.
Also had neons, clown loach, silver shark, mollies, guppies, sword fish, platys, red tail sharks, plus loads more that I cant remember now.
The reason we gave up was because we had a 6ft x 3ft x 2ft tank and the seal went on it. I spent all one day catching water in a bucket at the bottom and pouring it back in the top!
Someone had put kitchen roll in under the silicone!!! )de:
We couldnt seem to find a decent, disease free place to get them from, so gave up.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Just thought, have you ever had an Upside Down Catfish? They are brilliant to watch, but do tend to gobble up the little fish at night lol.
Also Blind Caves they are brilliant too, absolutely amazing how they navigate round the tank.
I have sat up hours watching the live bearers giving birth. Not nice though when mum delivers one end, then babies swim to top and if they get anywhere near her mouth she eats them as their brothers and sisters are being born :cry:
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

i stopped keeping guppys for that very same reason. we had baby discus a year or so back but they didn't last very long once the other fish found out about them.
Bah Humbug