Doggie advice needed - should I do it?

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Doggie advice needed - should I do it?

Post by rhubarb93 »

I was googling for local dog rescue charities, looking for one that needed volunteers to walk dogs, and I came across a picture of a dog that was up for rehoming that really appealed to me.
I was not particularly thinking of taking on a dog, but I am semi-retired, just do a bit of freelance internet work, so would have the time for her, and I do like walking and the countryside but don't get out as much as I should, so she would be good for me.
I went to meet her today - she is gorgeous, gentle, and according to her foster-mum, clean, non-destructive and happy to be left on her own. If I was ever going to have a dog, I think it could be her.
But I am aware it is a huge committment. My daughter came with me, and she liked her but my hubby is fighting flu at the mo so didn't come. His view is that he is "not against the idea in principal, but not sure it is the right time", which is pretty much how he reacts to anything new!
I know it has to be my decision, but can anyone give me advice or input about things I may not have considered? I have got as far as thinking about who would look after her when we are away, which is not often.
AL37
Admin Moderator

Re: Doggie advice needed - should I do it?

Post by AL37 »

Hi Rhubarb,
This is why I avoid going to shelters or animal rescue places or looking at them them on the net. There are so many animals that need a home I come away feeling sorry for them all and guilty that I have left them behind.
Having said that if you do have the time and finances to take good care of a dog, and can find suitable pet sitters or kennels for your holidays then go for it.
You should also factor in the cost of insurance and general vet bills.
Personaly I don't like putting my dog in kennels, I would far rather have a family member take care of him because they know exactly what he means to me and care for him as I would.
Best of luck either way.
Al. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well, I don't know if this is any help, but I hadn't had a dog for 15 years, and was not planning on getting one, when my daughter's marriage broke down and I offered to look after the dog - 18 months ago now.

To be honest, I didn't realise it would be long term, but she is not getting her back now!!! She has added a huge dimension to my life - ok, drives me MAD when people enter the house (but soon settles) and is hopeless on the lead, but my goodness, I wouldn't swap her! The walks get me out and about, even when I don't really feel like it I always enjoy it.

If it is ok for you on a practical level, I would go for it!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Funky chicken
Longlasting Laner

Post by Funky chicken »

I'm hopeless at saying no when an animal needs a home.
My daughter heard of a dog on a rescue site ( cavalier king Charles spaniel ) that was in kennels after her elderly owner ended up in hospital (with no hope of coming out {cry} ) and she wasn't coping, stopped eating and pining bless her.
Well we ended up having her and she's been here 3 weeks now and settled in brilliantly with our other 3 dogs, she's an absolute treasure, an old girl so gets on well with 2 of our geriatric dogs.
I'm a great believer in fate, what will be will be and I think things have a way of working themselves out.
I recon you should go for it, if you've given it some thought and sorted out sitters for when you go away etc and can afford an extra mouth to feed, you will get the benefit of an excuse to get a bit of exercise and the unconditional love you get from a dog {hug} , can't beat it )t' but up to you.
Good luck making your decision.
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

Do it.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Do it )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

asking the wrong person here. Do it. The fact that you are giving more reasons to take the dog than not means that you want her. A new lease of life for the both of you, men always are more reluctant as they think that they will be the one doing all the work.
Why wait, next time that you see one you will be thinking no maybe I am to old to have a dog.. go on take her home and love her.
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Thank you all for the encouragement. Have decided to go to the next stage and ask for the home visit. I know they do have other people interested too so we may not get her anyway, and I am still apprehensive about it but it can't hurt to go a bit further and see what happens.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sounds like it was just meant to be, so I would say go for it too. )t'
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Good luck with the home visit. They say up here ' whats for you won't go by you' and I hope in your case that is right as to me it sounded like you had made up your mind before you typed the 1st post. I agree with all P.Penn says and the other plus is you are never lost for conversation with a dog , there is always someone willing to swap a tale (NOT TAIL) or two.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
lilac lill
Lively Laner

Post by lilac lill »

Go for it..!! We've had our rescue girl Spud for 6 weeks now and she is settling in to be a superb dog... Ok, we've had some issues with chewing things... mainly my things }hairout{ , but would not be without her for the world. )t'

Debbie x
Owner of a Silver/Pearl Egg Skelter.
Spud the dog,Bernard and Dave the rabbits, and 9 girls.. Ethel, Clara, Clarice, Strangeways, Muppet, Norma, Smudger, Gladys and Houdini. RIP Eveline x RIP my beautiful dog Doris. X

Another Sunny Clucker Trucker in the waiting
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh Rhubarb, only you can weigh everything up and make a decision that's right for you - I agree with Annie's saying and often use that as well 'if it's mean't for you it'll be'.

She sounds a lovely dog and hopefully your home will become her forever home too {hug}

Our Benny's a rescue doggy as well and we are truly blessed with him. He's not been a minutes trouble and we've had him two years gone this May. Of course, we geared up for him being really unsettled at first, but he's not once chewed anything he shouldn't or even been to the toilet in the house or anything untoward. He barks at the door yes and pulls on his lead a bit, but they're no big problems for us.

We have a professional dog walking lady that we use if we're both out and she's lovely, Ben's also stayed with her several times when we've been abroad on holiday. In the UK we take him with us and have found lots of lovely dog friendly places - for instance we went to Devon/Cornwall in June and have just got back from a few days in Norfolk.

Our dog lady charges £15 a day when he stays with her - it's at her home and we know he's very well cared for there. For daily walks it's £8 and if we need a 'pop in' dinner/walk around the block it's £6.

I recently reviewed our pet insurance as I was paying a heck of a lot and I've got it down to just under a tenner if I remember rightly (per month).

For food, Ben's always had James Wellbeloved - he seems to enjoy it and has never had any gastrointestinal problems and everyone always comments on his lovely shiney coat.

We got Ben neutured about a month after bringing him home, I think that was around £120. Then his annual jabs were taken care of this year with a £10 special offer at the vets. I get his flea and worm things on the internet and do them myself.

Here's a few websites you might find handy:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/?gclid=CPCY2ceZ2aoCFcVO4Qodig6f8w

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/default.aspx

Dog friendly websites:

http://dogsinvited.co.uk/index.html

http://www.doggiepubs.org.uk/

As the others have said too, having a doggy really changes your life and he's become part of our family. It really gets you out about and it's lovely seeing new places and all the different seasons we have here.

Best of luck, whatever you decide and let us know how you get on )t'
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Haven't been able to arrange homecheck yet as my OH was unwell with a flu bug and the lady didn't want to come near us while we are a plague house! Now I am not feeling so hot, but hopefully will be better when she contacts us again at the weekend.
I gathered the other people who were interested would need to get their garden fenced.
As several have said, if she is meant for us it will happen so I am quite chilled about it. If we don't get her, that's fine as she will have a good home anyway.