Tales of a new puppy

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: Tales of a new puppy

Post by MissEllie »

That's good to know Wendy and Annie.
We have a large grassy area just outside our door, I could carry her over there on her lead and let her have a quick pootle about as long as I pick a quiet time. I must admit the idea of not letting her out for 4 weeks feels like an age!
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

How was Stella last night Ellie? {hug}

I remember when we brought our Benny home, I slept with him downstairs the first night. Then he was fine after that {hug} Bit different though I guess as he was about one.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

I've never had any problems with pups sleeping at night :-D Then again, they always slept in the bedroom with us or the kids :oops: We used to section off a corner of the bedroom with a chair or box or something, and put down some plastic sheeting with paper over the top, put their bed there and that's it, slept like little logs ~eep~
I've always gone by the fact that dogs are pack animals and to leave a dog on its own is like excluding it from the pack. All my dogs had their own beds in our room and never any problems, although I appreciate its not possible for everyone to do this, it worked for us )t'
LYN
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

The kitten was OK, Miss Ellie......better luck than judgement though me thinks.

Lexi took an age to settle down at night, howled the place down and she could see Bella our Staffi. Hope she settles soon, but she WILL be worth it......honest.

Clare used the time before injections completed to get Lexi used to the car, just 2 min trips down the lane, then progressively longer with a nice little wander at the end and she just loved it.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Thanks again for the reassuarance {hug} believe it or not Stella slept from 10 till 7am without any problems!
Unfortunately I was up all night with a really nasty stomach bug so still no sleep for me {cry} am beginning to feel better (although my 12 year old seems to have it now) so fingers crossed for a better night all round.

Gwen so far she seems really happy going in the car but that's a good idea to take her out regularly to keep her used to it,

LBF - how's comet getting on in the car now? >fi<
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry you still had a bad night with the tummy bug. I thought you were going to say that you didnt sleep because you were listening out for the little voice from downstairs. LOL
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Thanks gwen, we're both feeling much better today and Stella slept well so things are progressing :-D
Today's mission is to work on the toilet training. We've had newspaper and puppy pads all over the living room and she seems to have the hang of peeing on them so now I'm beginning to move them closer to the kitchen and the back door. She good at going outside and is getting lots a praise when she manages it so things are going well.
Woody Allen
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Oh Ellie its only been a week and already she is progressing, aren't animals just wonderful, crikey human babies don't get the hang so quickly do they ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

You're sooo right Annie {rofwl}
Woody Allen
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

I cant believe shes been here a week now. Stella has become a happy wee addition to our family. the toilet training is going well and she's sleeping like a baby till 7am.

She and Jessie have become friends (I think). Poor Jessie tends to just stand there whilst Stella tries to grab hold of any part of her she can, sometimes she really seems to be hurting her but the tails are both wagging and Jessie seems to encourage her and rather than ever snapping and moving away she uses her height and pushes Stella over by nudging her.
Has anyone had similar experiences when introducing dogs? Am i right in thinking this all seem fairly positive? I'm interested in what Jess is making of all this change. :?
Woody Allen
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

It sounds as though Jessie has it in hand really. When Comet goes a bit over the top playing with older dogs on the beach, they tend to put him in his place one way or another, so maybe Jessie is just quite a gentle soul rather than being snappy.
It sounds as though the nights are easier for you all now as well )t'
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Thanks LBF, how's Comet getting on? I bet the kids just love him {hug}
Woody Allen
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

He's settling in nicely, is mostly very well behaved with visitors, sadly our hall/stair carpet apparently tastes irresistible though :? so he is back to being confined in his crate when we are out and about!
Our friend is the Deputy Mayor, and he turned up at the house the other day with his suit and chains on, and Comet wouldn't let him in - went absolutely loopy barking & trying to 'see him off'! I think we need to introduce him to more poshly-dressed people!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

{rofwl} let's hope Mr T never knocks on your door!
Glad to hear he's doing so well :-D
Woody Allen
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

{rofwl}