Back to the vets

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: Back to the vets

Post by MissEllie »

Poor Mishka, she's really been through the mill, hope things are on the up for her now {hug} {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

How is she this morning, Mercedes?
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

She seems to be okay in herself Gwen, although we went shopping to Tesco at 7am and OH left her in her bed in the living room and when we got back at 8am she had done a poo all over the carpet. Luckily it was solid but it's still a bit gross. She woke up at 1am and then again at 5.50am last night :?

Back to vet at 2.50pm today so hopefully we will know how she is healing then. We have some new food for her, think it's called Purina DRM, as the vet thinks her current WD food is making her poo too much. Haven't given her any yet as wanted her to get settled and back to normal after her surgery.
Lyn

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry to hear that, Mercedes, but as you say at least it was solid, bless her and you.

How did the vets visit go yesterday?
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Gwenoakes wrote:Sorry to hear that, Mercedes, but as you say at least it was solid, bless her and you.

How did the vets visit go yesterday?

It went quite well thanks Gwen. We saw a different vet to our usual one so it wasn't as easy to talk about everything as we hadn't met this vet before. However he seemed quite happy with Mishka's progress and we go back again on Friday to see our regular vet, just to make sure it's all healed up. She is still waking up in the night and last night was really weird as she had us up 4 times in the space of an hour :?
Lyn

Post by Gwenoakes »

Does she need the toilet each time she wakes you up, or just wants company or possibly in pain? What did the vet say about her waking up so often?

Hope things settle better, will be thinking of you all. {hug}
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Gwenoakes wrote:Does she need the toilet each time she wakes you up, or just wants company or possibly in pain? What did the vet say about her waking up so often?

Hope things settle better, will be thinking of you all. {hug}

To be honest Gwen we don't have a clue what is up with her apart from old age. She isn't on her metacam now as she was sick on Saturday and the vet said metacam can upset their stomachs and that she shouldn't be in any pain from her surgery now. Even when on the metacam she was waking up all through the night and has been for so long that I can't even remember when it started.

One of the reasons we are changing her food is because the food she is on now is one that bulks out her stools and helps her colitis but the vet said if we put her on a different food that she should need to go less often, but obviously we are only changing her over to it slowly so won't know for awhile if it does help.

Last night she did do a pee twice, once she did a small poo and the last time she just went outside, turned round and came back in. I know the vet said last year that she has some early signs of dementia, so I guess that combined with her inability to go through the night without going to the toilet are all making her like this.

I only get woken up when she barks, but OH actually has to get out of bed and let her out and quite honestly I don't know how he functions the next day!
Lyn

Post by Gwenoakes »

I remember now that you mentioned dementia before......sorreeee.

I will keep everything crossed that she settles down very soon, bless her. {hug} She does have another vet appt soon though, doesnt she?
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Gwenoakes wrote:I remember now that you mentioned dementia before......sorreeee.

I will keep everything crossed that she settles down very soon, bless her. {hug} She does have another vet appt soon though, doesnt she?

Yes Gwen we go back on Friday for a follow up for her surgery. She seems to be fine with all that, she has finished her antibiotics and her breath is sweet again which is nice. Last night she actually went right through the night, in fact she slept so late that we both overslept too {rofwl}
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Aww bless her {hug} Sometimes looking after an old dog is a bit like having a puppy again with the puddling and dicky tums. Like very old people go back to having to be looked after like a baby. My mum-in-law is 91 and needs care very much like a baby would, nappies etc.
Glad Mishka is feeling better )t'
LYN
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

aishakali wrote:Aww bless her {hug} Sometimes looking after an old dog is a bit like having a puppy again with the puddling and dicky tums. Like very old people go back to having to be looked after like a baby. My mum-in-law is 91 and needs care very much like a baby would, nappies etc.
Glad Mishka is feeling better )t'

I have to keep on reminding my own mother everytime she suggests we have Mishka PTS how she would feel if we were talking about her as she will be 90 next week {rofwl}
Lyn

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thats good re sleeping through the night, long may it last. )t'
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Gwenoakes wrote:Thats good re sleeping through the night, long may it last. )t'

We've had 2 nights now when she slept right through and last night she went through till 5.30am which for her is pretty good.

We took her back to the vets this evening and he is very pleased with her progress. He said for her age she has healed up remarkably quickly and he was quite surprised. There is still a bit of a question mark over what caused these 3 abscesses to come along so close to each other so the vet said to keep a close eye on her and take her back if she gets any swellings again. Fingers crossed it was just a coincidence.
Lyn

Post by Benny&Co »

So glad to hear that things are going well for Mishka, Lyn {hug} {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Well I obviously jinxed it by saying how good she was doing with her sleeping {rofwl}

She has now started barking as soon as we have gone to bed and although OH lets her out she doesn't seem to want to do anything. We tried leaving her bed in the conservatory so that she could get in and out of the garden if she needed it, then at least we can lock the french doors when we go to bed. Unfortunately she wasn't too impressed with that and just stood at the doors barking to get back in. Then as soon as she is in she barks to go out again :?
Lyn