Back to the vets

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Back to the vets

Post by Mercedes »

A little while ago Mishka our 13yr old labrador was diagnosed with cellulitis and given anti inflammatories and also antibiotics when the side of her face above her nose had all swelled up. This morning all her jaw on the same side is now swollen so back to the vets we go. We had thought the previous swelling was maybe tooth related but that wouldn't explain the swelling now which is on her bottom jaw. Will see what the vet has to say. Hate taking her as she is a bundle of nerves at the vets :?
Lyn

Re: Back to the vets

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh bless her, poor Mishka and you too Lyn {cry}

Hope it goes as well as it can do with getting to the vets, big {hug} {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

What a worrying time for you. I hope the vet sorts out what is wrong and that she is soon make comfortable. Poor old dog. I can imagine how she is with going to the vet as we had one just the same. We can't explain to them that it is for their own sake that they are there. {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

According to the vet she has an abscess on one of her bottom pre molars so that needs to come out and he wants to have another look at the other upper side while she is under anaesthetic to see if the tooth that side possibly caused her last problem. So she goes in tomorrow morning and including today's visit that is going to cost us at least £700 yike*
Lyn

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh my goodness poor Mishka, you and your wallet Lyn.

Is she covered by insurance?

Wishing you all the very best for tomorrow {hug} {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

We did have insurance Bev but that was when we first got Mishka and it was one the vet recommended. However we didn't find out till later that it was one of those that only covers illnesses for a year and then you have exclusions on the policy. We ended up with so many exclusions that eventually we cancelled the insurance as most of the things like gastric and ear related problems which Mishka suffered most with just weren't covered any longer :?
Lyn

Post by Gwenoakes »

Oh poor Miska and you, hope its all sorted tomorrow. £700 seems a bit steep though just for anaesthetic, tooth pull, examination and most likely antibiotics. Wish I had been a vet, loadsa money.

Will keep everything crossed for a good outcome, bless her it must be terribly painful. {hug}
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Hope she gets on ok at the vets Lyn, dont forget to let us know how it goes {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Have to say we were shocked at the price. We paid over £100 for today's consultation and her antibiotics and the surgery tomorrow is £600 but that includes pre op bloods. We may decide to not have those done as they cost £100 which is a lot and I don't think we had them last time she had some teeth out. It will cost more if they have to do any x rays which they may to see what is going on with her teeth the other side and obviously if any of those need to come out then it will cost more again :?
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Given her age pre op blood test is a good idea. Any blood sampling taken would show any problems which would compromise anaesthesia being given.

I guess it depends on how back the abcess is and what they aim to do, £600 for ga, dental and antibiotics and post procedure check ups does seem high. Are they taking any digital x-rays of jaw? Probably about £40-£60 for pre op bloods to be taken and run.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

bluebell wrote:Given her age pre op blood test is a good idea. Any blood sampling taken would show any problems which would compromise anaesthesia being given.

I guess it depends on how back the abcess is and what they aim to do, £600 for ga, dental and antibiotics and post procedure check ups does seem high. Are they taking any digital x-rays of jaw? Probably about £40-£60 for pre op bloods to be taken and run.

It does seem kind of high doesn't it. I think any x rays will be on top of this price. The vet said once she is under the anaesthetic he will have a look in her mouth and be able to get a better view of what is going on and then phone us to say if he thinks she needs x rays. When OH gets home I will post a breakdown of the charges and then go rob a bank {rofwl}
Lyn
Longlasting Laner

Post by milli »

Just a thought Lyn, does your Vet realise you don't have insurance any more? When we took Billy-bob for his teeth to be cleaned and he had 4 back teeth out and a couple in the front, the bill was about £ 360 so I too think 700 is way over the top. Hope poor Mishka is ok. {hug} for her
15 ex batty girls, 2 rescue jack russels and one very naughty Shih Tzu puppy who rules the household!!!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thinking of you today. {hug}
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Me too Lyn, thinking of you all today {hug}

I was wondering about the costs too, they do seem very high don't they. When our Benny had a examination under GA last year on his leg, it was £435.

This included anaesthesia, anti biotics, further pain relief, x-rays and consultation.
Bev x

wendy

Post by wendy »

Hope all goes well Lyn.
I am afraid that price is par for the course around here. Our vets are expensive.
Two I heard of a year or so ago £1000.00 for kennel cough ! :?
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning