cancelled op

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Re: cancelled op

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks for all the responses. Toby is now home. He is very quiet, sleepy and shivering a bit but I expect that's normal after a general anaesthetic. They want to see him again on Saturday to check that he's going to be OK over the bank holiday weekend so a quiet day tomorrow and we'll see how he goes. We've not had to have a puppy neutered before; our adult rescue dogs have already been "done" so this is a new experience. Glad it's over. I wonder if Toby will bounce into the vet's as if going to a party from now on?
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Cover him with a blanket if he is shivering. Keep him warm, after anaesthetic.
He will be fine tomorrow.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Glad to hear he is OK and the op has been done. Like Wendy says, keep him warm and he will be fine.

I hope all goes well on Saturday and will keep all fingers crossed.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Hope he's doing ok today Bea, {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Glad to hear that it is done and that he is now recovering. Hopefully in a couple of days time things will be back to normal.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Little Toby spent the evening on my lap, covered by a fleece blanket. He slept until bedtime but went into the garden for the evening pee and then slept all night. This morning, he seems to be entirely back to his usual self. Vet said only to let him out into the garden for a wee, and then only on his lead, and keep him very quiet. I don't know how this is supposed to be accomplished. He's been out into the garden a few times, and leaving him in the house caused more racketing about than a quiet wander round the garden ever could have done. Consequently, by 11 am we were ignoring that part of the advice and he's had several quiet wanders round. He hasn't done anything foolish, and we've watched him carefully, so I'm hoping that tomorrow he gets the all clear at least to go out for gentle little walks.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

>fi<
Dom
Ali Woks My World
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Comet had the snip last week, so I can sympathise with you Bea! He's been feeling fine and dandy since the morning after the op, and it's been a struggle to keep him quiet. We decided that a 10 minute lead walk several times a day would be less likely to open the wound than the lunatic bouncing around that we were experiencing while trying to keep him quiet. He's not supposed to have a proper off-lead walk until tomorrow, but we've bent the rules and let him have a bit of a run today, because my Mum is child/dog-sitting for us this evening, and I thought she deserved a bit of peace!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
wendy

Post by wendy »

The boys do recover much quicker, but then it is all outside the body. As long as he doesn't lick/chew he will be fine )t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Glad to hear he is doing well. Its a bit like horses when you are told to give stable rest. Some go mad being kept in 24/7 and do more harm than good to themselves, so I think you know your animal, so you should go by your knowledge and gut feeling on these occassions. {hug}
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Glad to hear he is recovering nicely :-D

I do think vets have become more cautious with their post op advice when neutering dogs. When we had Mishka speyed back in 2000 there was no talk of stopping her licking, jumping up or anything like that and she was just fine.

When Daisy was speyed earlier this year we were give so much advice it made us quite worried and we came home with one of those cone collars and bought some baby t shirts for her. We ended up using nothing and after a couple of days she was back to bouncing up and down off the sofas and healed up just fine.
Lyn

Post by bmpsands »

We didn't dare tell the vet that we'd been letting Toby have little walks on the lead. Like others, we found that NOT walking him caused more bouncing and stress than a little wander to chat to the goats up the lane.

We're now a week from the op and you'd never know anything had happened. chatting to a lady on one of our walks yesterday she said her male Springer was "dowly" for a week after the op and for about 4 days had to have his head in a bucket. When he put his head down to eat/drink/sniff this caused a panic attack as a result of everything going dark.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Glad to hear he is back to normal, bless him.