Why oh why?

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Why oh why?

Post by secret squirrel »

Do people choose to train their dogs outside in the middle of a field , in this weather and the say their dogs are suffering from the heat ?
Irresponsible IMO. My Nico hasn't been out In the day time for about 3 weeks now . Only take him out after dark, poor lad. He's a Black and Tan Dobe and deserves better than to be made to suffer. Would rather miss the training sessions than put him through that.
Lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
perchy

Re: Why oh why?

Post by perchy »

I have certainly seen some dogs being walked looking very hot and bothered, let alone being trained, we get irritable in the heat I would guess its the same for dogs )gr:
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

He won't work properly in this heat anyway. Must get him a "cool coat".
Lorna
wendy

Post by wendy »

Complete and utter idiots that's why Lorna.
I see them here, particularly black dogs being walked in the middle of the day....mad dogs and all that. None of them or us should be out in that heat !
Mine are walked at 7am and it is getting warmer all the time then.
Same with dogs left in cars. Do these people have no sense or ever read }hairout{
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Sara

Post by Sara »

Drives you mad , its hot for thier poor feet too {cry}

We wait until about half 8 in the evening and take the dogs down to the river for a swim, They spend a good half hour in the water cooling down, they love it {hug}
Otherwise they stay at home where its cooler )t'
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

I suspect my dog club think I spoil Nico, well I KNOW they do. Ad I Molly coddle him.
Do, I? He does t have human status in the family. But he is loved for who he is and what he is. He is respected and cared for by good food, because I would like to have his company for as long as I can , he always has fresh water readily available, and somewhere which is HIS place, where the rule is " no one touches " . (Unless you are 18 months old, but we are working on that one .lol).
I don't take him out when it's very hot or very cold and likely to cause distress. I would never leave him in a car. Even with the windows open. 2 issues there. 1. He could die from over heating. 2. He could be stolen. And he has 2 reasonable walks a day. Is that spoiling him? Not IMO. It's taking on the responsibility for an animal who looks to you for his needs. To make his life the best I can.
He's not allowed to take liberties although he is a bit cheeky at times and he has been taught manners and how to behave at home and in public.
We clean up after him EVERY time he goes, when we are out.
Training can wait till it cools down a bit we aren't allowed to compete any way , even in companion shows. So it's no loss
Lorna
Carole
Lively Laner

Post by Carole »

My boy is so loved he's a rescue from Ireland a Collie called Colin.iv'e had him 2yrs and he's about 5yrs we think. When he came to me he was scared of everything, people,traffic pushchairs, noise was and still is his worst fear but i surpose when you've been shot at it would scare you.He had never seen stairs before and wouldn't go up them at first. His only fear now is noise and all it's taken is love, i adore him and he shows me love every day.He's going on holiday soon for two weeks of sand and play, but for now he'll make do with our evening walk (now the sun has gone) Carole.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Aww bless him. Poor boy. Our Dobe is re- homed. Born in The States and ended up in England. When they come from elsewhere you are dealing with unknown elements aren't you. Nico is similar with loud noises but fireworks and thunder are our greatest hurdles to overcome. Oh and chains rattling . We know he had been hit with one. {mr.angry} he would cower if he heard one chink.
We were told all sorts of things about our lad by his previous owner, 90% of which have turned out to be rubbish. Once we got to know him and what makes him tick it was much easier. As you say, calmness and firm love, we found to work for us.
I can tell what Nico is feeling through his eyes. I always think dogs eyes are a window to their souls. Your perseverance has already paid dividends and will go on by the sound of it.
Your boy has fallen on his feet to find such a caring forever mummy. Xxxxx
Wendy as a dog trainer is a fount of wisdom if you get stick with anything, bless her. Would be nice to see a pic of your lad.x if you scroll through there is a thread of forum members dogs and cats. Think there is o e of Nico, somewhere.
Lorna {hug}
Carole
Lively Laner

Post by Carole »

Thank you Lorna for kind comments i'm afraid being a silver surfer i don't know how to do pics >dum< but when my daughter comes over i'll get her to have a go. Your so right about dog's eyes, Colin makes my heart melt and i count myself lucky that we found each other )c( Carole.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Aww. I had to get from my kids too. {rofwl} they bought me an iPad for my birthday. BEST present EVER!!!!!! Now I'm scuppered though. Still working out how to get pics from it o. Here. There is a way , but still working on it. {rofwl}
Lorna
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

I totally agree!!!! People round here not only walk their dogs in the heat but several I know of run during the heat with them too!!! Our husky , who, as you can imagine suffers in the heat, Is walked before 6am and after nine during the summer . Someone posted on facebook a pic of a dogs feet that had been badly burned by hot tarmac!!!I would like to take the owner for a walk with bare feet sometime !!!!!! Our boys have access to the coolest rooms in the house during the hottest days and are never made to go in the car for long trips !!I would rather stay behind myself!!!!!!
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

I saw that on FB. How could you allow that to happen and not be aware? A friend of mine has 2 Dobes and one wasn't well last week. Some sort of stomach bug, so they say. Having said that, she was one of those training in an open field last week. I wonder how much of her dogs illness was heat related.
There are a handful of members who train 2 or 3 times a week, most weeks of the year , because they compete most weekends. They are out there in ALL weathers come hell or high water.
Lorna
wendy

Post by wendy »

Just got back to this thread.
As long as they are good, not pushy and knows that he is a dog. No problem with allowing privileges.
I don't walk mine in the heat either..... apart from anything else I don't like walking in the sun. I am too fair skinned.
I train every day, but you don't need to be outside to do it. Some days I am too busy to spend time on a walk, training. But I can do many things while peeling veg, Watching TV and a million and one other times.

PS I have had a Colin, I lost him December 2011 at 16. Give yours a hug from me.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning