Elderly dog weeing at night

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Dee
Longlasting Laner

Elderly dog weeing at night

Post by Dee »

My 14 year old dog has taken to weeing at night , always near the back door , also in the same area as the cat litter tray.
I let him out last thing at night but I think sometimes he just has a quick wee then he rushes back inside, I even go out with him but I cant make him wee if he walks back inside ! lol His eyesight is not good and im wondering if that's not helping him outside in the dark last thing at night.
He has been checked out at the vets so no problems in that respect.
Is there anything I can put on the floor that he would use to wee on , also whats the best thing to clean the floor with as I there is sometimes a smell left after ive cleaned the area
Thanks Dee
wendy

Re: Elderly dog weeing at night

Post by wendy »

My Josie is the same, they just cannot hold their bladder overnight. Actually neither can I, but I am able to use the toilet. So unless there is a dog flap, they have to go as near to the back door as they can.
I have loads of old bath towel, collected over the years.
I put them down and she pees on them. They are then washed, when I get up.I spray some viakal down and wipe it over.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

We had the same prob with one of our dogs. I used the plastic carpet runner that keeps carpets clean and put loads of newspaper on top. Dispose of paper, then wipe over placcy with disinfectant each day. Worked for us.
Dee
Longlasting Laner

Post by Dee »

Thank you both for your replys....
The towels are a great idea along with the plastic runner....Ive looked at incontinence bed pads to put down but it would work out expensive .
And yes Wendy I also have the same problem ! lol
xx
periwinkle
Learner Laner

Post by periwinkle »

My 13 year old border collie was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis and put on oral prednisolone. I managed to get her onto inhaled steroids but she still has some of the side effects to the tablets - like occasional urinary incontinence. It leeks out and she can't help it. For overnight I got a couple of 'dog pants' which she wears with a supermarket nappy/towel. But she sleeps on the bed with me so just in case anything comes through I bought a really cheap waterproof mattress cover off Amazon - which I use over the quilt. A throw goes over that. Happy to send links to the products.
I also put a heavy duty plastic sack over the pad of her dog bed - and a blanket over,
PS the vet gave me medication, but she has been on so much I prefer to manage without for the time being.