Worried about Megan

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Worried about Megan

Post by albertajune »

Poor old Megan is so not herself today and I'm feeling so worried.
She went for her usual walk this morning at 8am to the common, where she chased a few rabbits etc. She came home with her head out of the car window as is norm and barked when she saw home.
At that point she came in, got on the sofa and stayed there. I thought she was sulking because OH went to his allotment without her but normally when she hears his car, she is looking out of the window, barking, before rushing to meet him. Today she stayed put and has been there ever since. We had to get her down and onto a blanket, where she has just laid and slept. She has had only one drink of water, no food and no walks wanted.
She doesn't appear to be in any pain, no panting etc. and enjoyed me giving her a gentle brush. She lifts her head to us, other than that just sleeping.
If she is the same in the morning, it will have to be a visit to the vet. My dilemma is that she has liver and spleen cancer and her days are numbered. We didn't expect her to still be here. This lethargy may or not be due to the cancer, so I have the worry of whether to put her through all the tests may entail to see if anything else is wrong.
If only they could talk!!
Fingers crossed that she may be improved tomorrow.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: Worried about Megan

Post by Linda S »

Ah June I think any of us who have had a terminally ill pet will know how you are feeling now, i know i am thinking of my beautifull Zac who had his toe removed with cancer and was on borrowed time. {hug}
He was a huge gentle giant rottie and very calm and quiet but i always worried if he seemed to sleep a bit more than usual or didnt want to go out when we let the others out.
We spent my birthday burrying him in the lawn near his favourite rose tree where he loved to lay, even in the cold weather he would amble down to grass and lay and observe his home and people. {hug}
Sorry for wittering on June.

Megan is very lucky to have you to love and look after her, and someone was definatly looking out for her the day you got her. Love and Healing Thoughts to you all {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yes always difficult when they get old, especially when you know they have an existing condition.
It just maybe she over did it with the rabbit chasing today. See how she is tomorrow as you say.
When mine have a terminal illness, I am the same and don't want to put them through too much. Usually I just treat the symptoms and let them live their last few months pain free without any pulling around unnecessarily. It is different if they are youngsters. But when they haven't a great deal of time left, age wise.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am sooo sorry to hear this about Megan, I was only thinking the other day how she was doing.

I really feel for you and hopefully she will be a little brighter tomorrow. I will keep everything crossed for you all.

I know what you mean about going to the vets for more tests though and unfortunately only you can decide on that and I really dont envy you. Have a HUGE hug from me, I will be thinking of you all. {hug} {hug} {hug}
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thanks for your support. I will just have to see what tomorrow brings. She has had a restful and peaceful afternoon and just got up and walked for the first time. It was to take herself to her proper bed where I imagine she will be until morning. She loves her bed and at 10pm looks at Roy to let him know it's time for bed which is in his room.
As long as she shows no sings of pain I can cope. Just wish she would drink. We have only had her for 11mths and never realised that I would feel so emotional about her.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

If you were not a true animal lover you would not feel the connection/emotion. Its because you ARE a true animal lover that you have these feelings. Not good for you at the mo, but wonderful for Megan, dont you think? I really dont think she could/would want to be anywhere else, June. I honestly dont. 11 months is a long time in a dogs world too.

When ours have been very poorly I have filled a syringe with water and gently squirted it into their mouths, or put some on my hand and touched their mouths with it. Bit like moistening a human beings mouth/lips really.

Will be thinking of you all the time. {hug} {hug}
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Dear June, I do hope Megan is ok, its frightening isn`t when they behave out of character especially when they have an underlying illness. {hug} {hug}
Sara

Post by Sara »

Thinking of you June, Hopefully she may perk up a little today {hug} {hug} {hug} {hug} {hug}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh June, hoping that Megan is more herself this morning {hug} {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Keeping everything crossed Megan is a little brighter this morning {hug} {hug} {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hope Megan is feeling herself this morning {hug} Love and Healing thoughts {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thank you all so much {hug} {hug} . Well a bit of improvement this morning in as much as she went for a little walk and wagged her tail about going. She then got into the car and went with Roy to get his papers.
On coming back I put down a little food which she didn't want but did take a chewy treat that is now buried under one of Roy's pillows. I just want to see her drink as this is the most important thing. At the moment she is on the sofa but a lot more alert, if not mobile, than yesterday.
Must say, I had a dreadful night, just wondering how she was doing. I think a nap for me this afternoon will be in order.
Thanks again. It does help doesn't it, to have people to open up to instead of brooding.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am sooo pleased she has improved slightly and really hope it continues. {hug} {hug}

Have you tried her with something really smelly, i.e. tuna? Not trying to teach you how to suck eggs, but we managed to persuade Lexi to eat with tuna and scrambled eggs at times when she was really poorly, even fed her off/out of a house brick once, (dont ask)we were so desperate.

You are right, it helps enormously to be able to put on here and have the comments of like minded people rather than keeping it all bottled up. Bless you and bless Megan. {hug} {hug}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh June, I have only just read this and felt so sad. Such a difficult time when our pets grow old, and I know you haven't had Megan that long, but she sounds a sweetheart,

I am glad to hear she is a little brighter today, and that her tail was waggy on her walk :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

So glad to hear Megan's a bit brighter today.

I wonder if she'd take on some water if you mix it in with her food? Just thinking outloud with ideas for you {hug}

Take good care of you too June {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.